Author Topic: yak vs spit  (Read 360 times)

Offline df54

• Copper Member
yak vs spit
« on: November 12, 2006, 05:51:02 PM »
well i've come to the conclusion that yaks are useless against most spits.
The only thing a yak can do against the spits is run. Can never seem to get tactical advantage,. Have tried everything i know maybe someone else knows some tips.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
yak vs spit
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 08:43:48 PM »
Well you kinda said it already. Use your speed. Don't try a slow dogfight with it. Keep your speed up, engage on your grounds, not his. With the exception of the spit16 the yak out climbs the spit by a good margin. And with the extra speed the yak has it can easily carry that extra E to out climb the spit16 as well. Biggest rule is not to let the spit slow you down. Try not to turn to tight unless you are sure you will get the kill. Keep things loose and hold onto your E.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
yak vs spit
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 09:57:11 PM »
Trikky does a pretty fair job:D
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
yak vs spit
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:16:07 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
Well you kinda said it already. Use your speed. Don't try a slow dogfight with it. Keep your speed up, engage on your grounds, not his. With the exception of the spit16 the yak out climbs the spit by a good margin. And with the extra speed the yak has it can easily carry that extra E to out climb the spit16 as well. Biggest rule is not to let the spit slow you down. Try not to turn to tight unless you are sure you will get the kill. Keep things loose and hold onto your E.

Your advice is generally on target. However, the Yak-9U can only outclimb the Seafire, SpitI and SpitV. On the deck, the SpitIX is a bit better than the Yak, and the SpitVIII and SpitXIV climb much faster than the Yak.

You may perceive that the Yak climbs faster, but that is likely due to it having an E advantage and not due to climb rate. In fact, among the late-war fighters, the Yak offers just about the lowest climb rate, especially above 6,000 feet where its climb drops rapidly.

Go to DokGonzo's comparison page and plug in the various aircraft to see their climb performance charted side-by-side.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
yak vs spit
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 12:44:01 AM »
There you have it:D And I agree 100% with ya WW about the climbing. I'm sure it's the extra speed that it carries that makes it seem that way.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++