Author Topic: Landing the ship.... please help me !!!  (Read 360 times)

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
Landing the ship.... please help me !!!
« on: November 18, 2006, 12:43:39 PM »
Gents

Flying spits or any other plane is no problem....
I'm aware of the prop torque and rudder is applied accordingly....

I can line up with the strip when landing and touching ground without any "bouncing betties":lol

Now on the ground and still moving/rollin' forward, and obvioulsy the throttle way back to idle, my plane starts goin into the sharp right turn.
I try to apply left rudder and **** I start losing my wing tips:mad:
Then I lose my prop blades and my face ends up with SPLINTERS:furious

I've went in the training arena and practiced and practiced :rolleyes:

my setup:  FULL CH LINE .... STICK/PEDALS/THROTTLE

Can anyone provide me with RUDDER and BRAKE calibration test.
I did it and I think I'm ok.
Is it possible that I have right brake miscalibrated(jammed) and thats make me swerve to right ?
Anyone had this problem ?

OPP7755
Phil

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 01:30:16 PM »
First off, with the tail draggers, it's a good idea to touch down at just above stall speed.  You want to get your tail wheel on the ground quickly to add directional stability.

Secondly, in AH to lock the tail wheel you merely pull back on the stick about 15 degrees.  Which is another reason to come in slow...you want to lock the tail wheel, but not create enough lift to leave the runway.  Usually if I used flaps on approach, I am retracting them as I touch down, so I can pull the tail down for ground contact, and lock the wheel.

Also take it easy on the toe brakes.  Some models are more nose heavy than other, and will easily prop strike if you are hard on the brakes.  Typically in the few seconds it takes to get the tail down and locked, I am lightly adjusting on the right and left brakes to keep it straight.

And lastly, go into options>controls>map controlers, and make sure the 2 sliders are set to "analog inputs brake left" and "analog inputs brake right", and that the numbers in parenthesis respond accordingly.  You can also click on the Calibrate Axis button while having one of the slider axis highlighted, to adjust it if you are not happy with the calibration.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 03:31:17 PM »
Phil, if plane turns right, release right toe brake.  If it swings left, release left toe brake.

Regards,

hap

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
I got it !!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 04:26:31 PM »
Thanks guys :rofl :rofl :rofl

I've checked my calibration seperatly(rudder brake axis) and noticed that my brakes were assigned to ailerons:furious :rofl :cry :huh

Man 'o man how did I do that !!!

That's why everytime I applied brakes, my ailerons would go up making my other side wing tip tilt to the ground:rolleyes:

Thanks again

Phil
:aok

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »
I have also found reduction in RPM helps. This might just be in my head but it works for me.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 04:35:20 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
I have also found reduction in RPM helps. This might just be in my head but it works for me.

Bronk

If your RPMs are down, generally speaking your hydraulic pump will be running at reduced pressure.  Hence, your brakes aren't as effective, and you're less likely to over brake and tip into a prop strike.  On the flip side, in some planes you might roll off the end of the runway trying to get stopped.

Id say its not in your head :)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 04:44:53 PM »
Hmm ok  but isn't there less torque and  prop wash when in a reduced setting.

Seriously especially in a hog I try to get as slow as possible then reduce rpm on touch down.

Not trying to argue with ya Murdr , just looking to be corrected if I am wrong.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 04:58:31 PM »
Actually I was agreeing with you.  I just see brake power as more critical than torque,  I can ride 2 wheels all the way down the runway with a bit of corrective rudder, but I can trash a plane in a heart beat with poorly applied brakes.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 05:02:24 PM »
Didn't realize brakes were affected by rpm in game.
Something to think about.

Thanx

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 05:35:17 PM »
try this in the TA at A1....
spawn NW throttle closed with a P38
disable auto take off, trim full nose down
Open throttle to MAP, until you get to the center intercetion then chop throttle and try to stop.  You'll stop between the indestructable and the ack gun.

Do the same thing again, except reduce to min rpm as you chop the throttle...see where you'll stop then :)