Author Topic: Heres a stupid newbie question....  (Read 554 times)

Offline Mattibaby80

• Zinc Member
Heres a stupid newbie question....
« on: November 15, 2000, 02:41:00 PM »
Does anyone know why AH wont run in 32-bit color on Voodoo Cards?  I feel I'm missing out on something because all I can do is 16-bit.  Anyone here have any answers?

------------------
Meine Schwester hat keine kartoffel salat?  Du bist eine lustige Buba!!!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2000, 02:42:00 PM »
Voodoo cards are not able to run 32 bit modes.

-Westy

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2000, 02:58:00 PM »
The Voodoo 5500 is the first voodoo card to run at 32 bit. And it runs well  

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2000, 03:01:00 PM »
 um, meant early Voodo I and II cards (not sure about III's)  My error. I suspect he has an older Voodoo card.

-Westy

Offline Mattibaby80

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2000, 03:07:00 PM »
I have the Voodoo3 3000GTV AGP card.  It only works with 5500's?  I dont understand why it wont work, I run Windows 98 under 32-bit colors and not a problem.  When I select 32-bit colors from setup screen in AH all I get is the Blue Screen of Death afterwords.

[This message has been edited by Mattibaby80 (edited 11-15-2000).]

Offline Mattibaby80

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2000, 07:38:00 PM »
PLZ HELP ANYONE, PLZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2000, 07:54:00 PM »
Voodoo cards (except Voodoo4 and 5) cannot do 3d acceleration above 16 bit.  It's just a feature they lacked.  Fortunately they were really good at 16 bit acceleration.  Another of their problems is that their drivers allow you to select 32 bit color, but when a game or application tries to use it, LOOK OUT.  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Mattibaby80

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2000, 07:59:00 PM »
Man, I for one feel like I got the fuzzy end of the popsicle stick this time.  Spend this money on a computer and they through a crappy card in there.  I think I will steer clear of 3dfx from now on.  Can any of you recommend a good card that will support the 32-bit colors?

Offline Vosper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2000, 09:40:00 PM »
I'm kind of partial to GeForce cards right now, as I own one.  When I bought it, they had just come out and I felt it was a clear winner even though the latest Voodoo's hadn't shipped yet.  I still think that way, fwiw.

If you're interested in a GeForce at a lower cost, check out the reviews on any GeForce 2 MX card.  It's a reduced GF2 chip, but still works better than the card that I own.  It can be bought for about 220 Cdn at the smaller shops (even EB has a version for about 229 Cdn - the Prophet one)

The latest bunch of NVIDIA drivers give FSAA thru software and I believe that it still pushes higher FPS than a Voodoo in FSAA, but I could be wrong.

If you want some sites to check, try these;
 www.firingsquad.com  - hardware, video, Asus 7100 MX review and/or the Elsa GeForce2 MX review

Cheers

PS - using a P3-600 and my GeForce, am running in 1600 x 1200 x 16 bit at over 30 FPS except in heavy black smoke

[This message has been edited by Vosper (edited 11-15-2000).]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2000, 09:09:00 PM »
If you want the best bang for the buck, grab the GeForce 2 MX.

However, if you want good Full Scene Anti-Aliasing, look at a Voodoo 5 5500 or an ATI Radeon.  Both of these have a far superior implementation of FSAA to the nVidia version.  The image quality on the V5 and the Radeon kick the crap out of the GeForce line.  Especially in FSAA when there is movement.  It shows very well in Aces High.  I was planning on getting the GeForce 2 until I ran Aces High both side by side.  The V5 is hands-down better in quality, and the FSAA implementation is much better.

Also, read most reviews with scepticism.  Most of the time the opinions are formed around games like Q3.  FPS games tend to favour extremely high framerates over image quality.  I don't find that to be the case in Aces High.  If you play flying and driving games, FSAA is the ticket IMHO.  Many reviews I read said that FSAA was not useable unless you ran at 800x600 resolution.  Well, in the games I play, that's just not the case.  I run 1024x768 32 Bit and 2xFSAA and my framerate in AH runs from 20-50 fps with the exception of lots of thick black smoke of course.

I'd really like to see somebody punch out a card that will do 1024x768 32 Bit and 4x FSAA.  I don't care who makes it, but if a card comes out that will do that for anything under $500 I will RUN out and buy it.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl