Author Topic: Rotten GVer asks...Where to hit T34  (Read 418 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Rotten GVer asks...Where to hit T34
« on: December 15, 2006, 05:16:21 PM »
Just to do something different, was messing around in EW with GVs. To make a long story short, an enemy T34 had managed to get on our base, and was slowly porking it while I tried to kill the thing off.

After he had fired, I upped my own T34. He was under 100 meters off, and had lost a track so he couldnt get into prime camping position. So, after he fired at the VH, I upped my own tank and had at him.

I blasted him at point blank range, aiming right at the turret ring. The flash hit right on...and nothing happened.

His first shot, into my side, killed me. So, did it again. Fired at his exposed side, at the level of the tread so it didnt hit the sloped armor. Nothing. (I'll leav out the part where I died.)

Again....and this time I roared foreward, hoping to get to his rear. He shot and missed, or ricocheted, and I did get the shot into his hindquarters. Hit the flat part ...and nothing. Then, since I cant maneuver those things instinctively yet, I showed him my 6 as I roared around...and he fired, killing me.

At this point I am becoming displeased.

So, I start upping after he fires a pork shot, blasting at his mantlet, or ring, or gun. Then I land it before he can shoot. Nothing, all at point blank.

At some point he killed the VH, so I up from the next base's spawn and drive to try my luck. He's plinking away at I dont know what (rounds seem to be going through a hangar and pocking up the countryside), but after a...ummmm.... few ranging shots (like I said, I stink at this) I hit him in the side, at about a 30 degree angle offset, at 1000meters. He blows up.

SO, GVer's...what did I do wrong? Why did point blank non-ricochet 76mm shells do nothing, even at what should be vulnerable points? Why did a bad shot at 1000 do more than hammering him from his 6?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 06:38:50 PM »
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the earthbound, I will share this.  There is only one sure fire place (that I know of) that will kill a T34.   If you look at the front of the hull, there is about a 1 foot (scale) vertical strip where the top and bottom armor slopes meet, extending across the front of the tank.  If you hit it there, it will destroy it.  It is not that tough a shot inside of 500 yards with the zoom all the way up.  That is the only way I have ever killed a T34 with another T34.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 07:59:50 AM »
First off don't use a t34 to kill a t34. Slow turret traverse and long load time = quick death against a decent GVer.

Second, don't stand still and let him kill you.  Hide behind a building, get hull down behind a hill, etc.

Third make sure your fireing AP not HE.

Panzer kills them easy enough, once he's tracked just circle him staying ahead of his turret & pound him till he's toast.

Actually I prefer the LVt4 to the t34.

Has basicly the same gun with more ammo, faster traverse, and better perk reward. Just stay away from anything that has guns.  :)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 11:01:46 AM »
From another post I had:

The best places to hit an opposing tank are:

1. Just between the turret and hull to pop the turret for the kill.
2. The turret to disable it.
3. Directly in the front to get shrapnal into the hull.
4. The tracks to disable him.
5. Then engine area to disable him.

It seems you tried #1 on your first shot but the armor on a T-34 is similar to a Tiger which means it may take multiple shots even in a Tiger or another T-34.  In a Tiger you can usually disable the main gun on the first shot.  Getting the kill is another matter.

There's also a certain amount of luck involved in getting that "perfect" shot.

I agree you shouldn't have used a T-34.  You needed the faster recoil plus the heavy armor that a Tiger would have given you.  Even a Panzer's faster recoil will sometimes compensate for it's lighter guns and armor.  Tigers and Panzers will get off almost 2 shots for each one that a T-34 gets off.

Just remember in the future that to kill T-34's and Tigers you're probably going to have to keep pounding on them for a while.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 12:10:36 PM »
being in EW the panzer and tiger are not avalible. I had a similar set of runs, and when I asked the enemy "how" he was killing me in one shot, he said....and get this..."you have to switch sides for me to teach you"  LOL!!! so I did  :)

He was shooting me between the second and third wheel. When asked how big an angle off the side that was good for, he wasn't sure, but one time he got me he was at least 45 degrees off. I'm thinking its pretty much the same as a "pilot" kill shot that you can do in the same area in a panzer.

So, now that I told you the "secret", you have to switch sides! I don't care which, just kinda go with the flow  :)

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 05:17:10 AM »
Originally posted by Auger
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the earthbound, I will share this.  There is only one sure fire place (that I know of) that will kill a T34.   If you look at the front of the hull, there is about a 1 foot (scale) vertical strip where the top and bottom armor slopes meet, extending across the front of the tank.  If you hit it there, it will destroy it.  It is not that tough a shot inside of 500 yards with the zoom all the way up.  That is the only way I have ever killed a T34 with another T34.

You can try shooting offline at that spot.Instant kill.Even from distance if you hit right.