Author Topic: Any French speaking people here?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Any French speaking people here?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
Yes and they build the software you ask for bug fixes on daily.

Fixed! :)

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 01:37:17 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
What make you think you're included in the list ?

IMHO john9001 got it right,there is nothing related to the Iraq war,he's just a dork.

Btw the sentence is strangely build it's not surprising babelfish puked on it.
Depending on the intent of the original writer there is at least 3 possibles translations (missing word make translating hard :))

I thought that because it was me asking for help that was declined, not someone else. The sentence was copied directly from the email & I assumed there was slang or some written tone that a native French speaking person would catch & understand that a mechanical translator wouldn't & as I mentioned above, I want to be fair with this person & I was afraid I was confusing the actual intent of the message.

I thought just by looking at it without translation on babelfish & not speaking any French at all that what the person said was; "They demand I have no further correspondence with them because of the murder in Iraq"

I hoped that was incorrect & ran it through babelfish, which as you said...puked on it. And I do not, above all else, want to have a problem with this person over a mis-communication. That wouldn't be fair & I'm all about fair.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »
Some of the problems babelfish had with it were probably because of misspellings/contractions.  For instance, "bjr" is short for 'Bonjour', and I bet 'correpond' was 'correspond'.  Anyhow, he's saying "turns out I don't need it, btw, I'm going to try and make this political so it'll seem as if I'm making a bold stand against imperialist USA instead of just backing out on a transaction like a little jerkie."  That's the next level of translation, the meta message.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »
Originally posted by Brenjen
I thought that because it was me asking for help that was declined, not someone else. The sentence was copied directly from the email & I assumed there was slang or some written tone that a native French speaking person would catch & understand that a mechanical translator wouldn't & as I mentioned above, I want to be fair with this person & I was afraid I was confusing the actual intent of the message.

Well I must say I've trouble reading it in French as well.

I thought just by looking at it without translation on babelfish & not speaking any French at all that what the person said was; "They demand I have no further correspondence with them because of the murder in Iraq"[/B]

That's very far from the original message.
My best attempt ended with :

"I am sorry for the purchase, it not does not fit my need, also you're messing Iraq."

Note that I had to add some words and punctuation .

I hoped that was incorrect & ran it through babelfish, which as you said...puked on it. And I do not, above all else, want to have a problem with this person over a mis-communication. That wouldn't be fair & I'm all about fair. [/B]

Chairboy got the meta message quite right :aok

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 07:09:39 PM »
Straffo, do me a favor. If you meet anyone in France that is a developer or writes code for Enovia LCA, slap them and tell them its from "Ripsnort" who has to report bugs in their code on a daily teleconference with Dassault. Thanks! :mad: