Author Topic: Aircraft mass  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 11:54:31 AM »
That, in fact, was exactly what I had in mind when I asked the original question.  I was flying my P-38 and someone asked me what I thought about the inertia modelling.  He wondered why the rolling always stopped as soon as you let go of the stick.  My initial response was that I thought it's fine, but after thinking about it and trying it out, we discussed it some more.  I recall roll inertia being an especially big problem on the P-38 and P-61, because the engines were away from the center of gravity.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I think it's very cool that Hitech's modelled the moments of inertia.  I was just wondering how they did it, and how complex.  It looks like Pyro is aware of the problem, and that due to the lack of data it's unavoidable.

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 12:56:04 PM »
Mass...

Example, if i was to scoop up all the french peaple and tie them into ball. Then fire them off into orbit they would have a mass and therefore a gravitational attraction. Thus they would attract space particulate and debris, eventually building enough mass to be classed as a moon.  Then we could use such a moon (lets call it frenchy) to dump all the nuclear waste and biohazardous materials produced from the earth. A fine contribution for greenpeace made by the french it would be..;)

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 02:02:21 PM »
Do not get the wrong impression, i love the french.
Well young females anyway. Pretty young ones aged 20 to 30 :aok

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
Aircraft Mass
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 03:02:28 PM »
(all rise)

Blessed are those that are here to fly and die with grace and honor in all there virtual glory.

(the response will be - I will)

Do you reject Ho-tards and  there inability to gain a 6 shot ---- (i will)
Do you reject Ram-tards, that fly there plane into yours to cause damage, even though the message reads- so and so- collided with you. --- (i will)
Do you reject toolshedders and the grief they cause to furballers when they drop the fighter hangers. ---- ( i will)
Do you reject furballers and the greif they cause to toolshedders for not joining the vulch fest and keeping CAP. ----( i will)
Do you reject tank town, and the spawn campers that live there. - (i will)

Thus ends our Aircraft Mass.

I leave you now in the name of Hitech, Skuzzy, and the HTC crew.

:noid
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 03:25:52 PM »
When i get my wine and crackers ???:D :lol

Offline DLfrmHLL

• Zinc Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 04:37:26 PM »
E=MC2  0r  MC2=E
So the more energy we have, the more mass is relitive to gravity ?
 LOL  Slow roll  vs  Fast roll ?  will generation of a magnectic field  
occur at high speed ? I should use that Boost more often ! lol
               Confussssed :rolleyes
  Pass the Crackers Brother : :t

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 06:21:25 PM »
Go back to school DLfrmHLL..:rofl Or pass pass the lager,l i need one.

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »
now i need beer, help me..

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 06:25:53 PM »
i'm getting killed :cry  i need help. pass me a lager..

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
aaaaaaaaaar/fforgive i've had a drink. i'll regrett this tomorow

Offline DLfrmHLL

• Zinc Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »
LMAO   This Bud  is  for You

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Aircraft mass
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 10:00:21 PM »
Originally posted by squealer
the kilogram is a cylindrical piece of platinum-iridium alloy kept in a secure location in France.
A secure location in France??? Squealer's kidding us right?
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »
*****t i can not bla bla that..........sorry if you know me bla bla ,,,,,,,

Offline squealer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 10:24:32 PM »
e= ???

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Aircraft mass
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 06:38:04 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
How is the aircraft mass handled in Aces High II? I know from the screenshots in the stall speed thread that lift and drag are intricately modelled, having many points being calculated in real time. Is mass done the same way? If so, is the weight evenly distributed along the points, or is the majority of it in the fuselage and less in the wingtips?

Actually the calculation is not real time, but uses pre-calcualted tables for the aerodynamics. Real time, high accuracy calculation is not possible on todays computers. From what I understand, what is calcualted are the sum of forces each element of the model give.

As for mass: For every element (wing section, attached bomb, fuel tank etc) you only need 3 things:
Its mass, its inertia moment (per axis) and position. From this you can get the total mass, the center of mass and total inertia moment in each axis.

That, in fact, was exactly what I had in mind when I asked the original question.  I was flying my P-38 and someone asked me what I thought about the inertia modelling.  He wondered why the rolling always stopped as soon as you let go of the stick.  My initial response was that I thought it's fine, but after thinking about it and trying it out, we discussed it some more.  I recall roll inertia being an especially big problem on the P-38 and P-61, because the engines were away from the center of gravity.

The problem with inertia was for initiating the roll. P-38 could reach high roll rate but it took time to build, giving a long delay between stick deflection and the actuall roll motion. This seems to be modeled in the game.

When you center the stick there already is a strong roll moment in the opposite direction. This is because the rising wing has now a lower angle of attack (less lift) then the lowered one (while the roll motion is mainteded). It would slow the roll quite fast - how fast? I'm not sure, but in the game (as far as I remember) the "over roll" is negligible. It would be interesting to see how external wing bombs/rockets/DT affect the roll rate and inertia if anyone cares to test this.

Generally, I'm a bit suspecious of the control responses in AH, especially the elevator. I suspect they are too sharp, especially at slow speeds. I don't think that the jink motions we can do near stall are that realistic. Perhaps the stick deflection is linked directly to the wing AoA instead of the elevator's AoA that governs the main wing's. I don't know.

Improving flight models but making them simple and fast enough to run on a home computer is quite a challange I suspect. Some compromises are have to be made and not everything can be modeled directly. A relevant example migh tbe the high speed roll rate. In RL it was limited by the force the pilot's arm could apply on the stick. Our flimsy, plastic joystick can be deflected in a split second. The result is that the actual roll is not directly related to the stick deflection, but slightly delayed. So is the stiffening of the elevator at high speeds.

So far AH gives the best compromise and it keeps improving. We have seen quite a few FM improvements over the last few years. I hope more will come.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs