Author Topic: system lockups after 5 mins play  (Read 690 times)

Offline limp-jaffa-cake

• Zinc Member
system lockups after 5 mins play
« on: June 28, 2001, 07:17:00 AM »
hi there, when i play an online game, i get this blue screen of death error after about 5 minutes:-
 an exception OE has occured at 0028:c2a2142e in VxD FA311ND3(01) + 0000040e. This was called from 0028:c001c3d4 in VxD NDIS(01) + 00004860. It may be possible to continue normally.

when i press a key to return to windows i cant access the internet and have to restart to get connection again. Any ideas?

Specs:
AMD K6-2 550
GA-5AA motherboard
ALI Aladdin 5 chipset
64MB Ram
Rage Pro graphics
DX 7.0a

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2001, 08:24:00 PM »
Wish I could be of more help, but if your getting BSOD, there are only a few things to look for before you do a fresh install of Winblows.

Make sure there isnt a heat problem....esp if this only happens on 3d accelerated games.

If your using a "win-modem", you may want to buy a real modem just in case its something screwing with the CPU trying to do the 3d and the modem work.

And of course...check for any nasties on your system....best bet is just clean install of OS however.

Offline limp-jaffa-cake

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2001, 08:37:00 PM »
hi

I just reinstalled win98se and still get the error, I though the problem was directX 8 because ive had problems with it before but it wasnt, it only happens on this game and Pearl harbour-Strike at dawn, all other games are ok, not a heat prob i always check the temp of the heat sink and i gets warm after playing games for a few hours, as for the winmodem...i use a cablemodem  :)

i think its something conflicting with my network card (Netgear FA311) because it mentions 2 of the drivers for it, FA311ND3 and NDIS

i hate this error   :mad: i usually happens just as i get near enough to somebody to shoot them   :p

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2001, 06:57:00 PM »
Have you tried updating the drivers for your network card?  You might also try updating the drivers for your motherboard.  (Should be at ALIs website.)

Offline limp-jaffa-cake

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
ok, ive got all the newest drivers for everything but it still does it, now its started to randomly exit to the desktop or reboot the computer, at first i thought it was heat but the chip was just warm to the touch and i can play offline for hours with no problems at all, any more ideas?

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
You might have a hardware problem.

Offline limp-jaffa-cake

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
which hardware is causing the problem though?

i can surf all day without any problems or play a game offline for hours without any probs but as soon as i go online i get a lock up

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2001, 08:21:00 PM »
I'll bet you have an IRQ (interrupt) conflict between your network card, and possibly your sound or video card.

Please go to start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> system information -> pull up the IRQ listing and copy and paste it here please.

The other possibility is heat issues.

Offline limp-jaffa-cake

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2001, 08:58:00 PM »
ok, here it is:

IRQ 9   ALS4000 Audio Device (WDM)
IRQ 9   ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 9   SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
IRQ 10  ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 10  ACPI IRQ Holder For PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 11  NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
IRQ 11  XPERT98 AGP 2X (English)
IRQ 11  ACPI IRQ Holder For PCI Steering
IRQ 14 ALi Primary IDE Controller (ultra DMA 66)
IRQ 14 ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE controller
IRQ 15 ALi Secondary IDE controller (ultra DMA 66)
IRQ 15 ALi BUs Master PCI to IDE controller

i see my graphics card and network card are sharing the same IRQ, could this be the cause?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by wulfpak:
ok, here it is:

IRQ 9   ALS4000 Audio Device (WDM)
IRQ 9   ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 9   SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
IRQ 10  ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 10  ACPI IRQ Holder For PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 11  NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
IRQ 11  XPERT98 AGP 2X (English)
IRQ 11  ACPI IRQ Holder For PCI Steering
IRQ 14 ALi Primary IDE Controller (ultra DMA 66)
IRQ 14 ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE controller
IRQ 15 ALi Secondary IDE controller (ultra DMA 66)
IRQ 15 ALi BUs Master PCI to IDE controller

i see my graphics card and network card are sharing the same IRQ, could this be the cause?

looks like you have your network card in the 1st PCI slot next to the AGP slot for your video. This slot shares the IRQ with the AGP port on your MB. Try moving your NIC to another slot and see is it gets an IRQ of it's own.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline limp-jaffa-cake

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2001, 12:29:00 PM »
ok i moved it to another slot and now its on IRQ 9 but i still get it, i might just get another network card  :(

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2001, 11:13:00 PM »
The problem is that your network card is sharing an interrupt with your video card.  This is a big HUGE no-no, and completely explains the error you are getting.

You also seem to have ACPI turned on.  This is what puts everything on IRQ 9.  In windows 2000 this works fine, but in 98se it does sometimes cause problems.  You *might* want to try turning off ACPI and/or Advanced Power management in the bios.  Be aware that this will require your system to reassign IRQs to everything, and may result in a totally messed up system.  Since it sounds like you know how to reinstall this may be an acceptable risk though.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2001, 11:15:00 PM »
Can you try disabling the nic card in device manager and then play offline to see if the error still occurs?

Offline limp-jaffa-cake

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2001, 05:41:00 AM »
hi thanks for helping, i have tried playing offline and its ok, it only occurs when i play online in any game, i tried to play counterstrike and it crashed after about 10 seconds, i think it only happens when the NIC and the graphics card are in use at the same time i.e playing games online,im gonna try a different NIC to see if it makes any difference