Author Topic: stick and rudder flying  (Read 481 times)

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
stick and rudder flying
« on: February 24, 2007, 11:59:48 AM »
Id like to comment on a kind of flying ive been trying perfect over the years {though of course this is impossible},,,the art of forcing persuing nme fighters into the ground.

Ill prupose a situation,
 emagine you are in a fw190d9 at 1000 ft 200ias, with a  co-alt yak,on yur 6, at 300ias....what to do?

I find that cutting throttle, snap-rolling inverted and adjusting power/stickpressure so that I just barley make the bottom of a split S {reversing direction 180*}without smacking the ground, will either dislodge my nme, or kill him alltogether.
though a couple pilots know the trick and preempt it by cutting throttle or simply pulling up to set up another pass.

The tactic is more effective in A/C with controls that favor elevator authority at hi speeds, {though ill try it in a ki84 in desperation somtimes},,

Speed is the prime motive after the snap roll,so the bottom of the split S is almost totaly blacked out.

Right ok, never saw a thread on this so bash away!
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
stick and rudder flying
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:09:46 PM »
No bash here, It's one of most used reversals. I practice it in every plane so that I know the minimum alt I need at every speed in every plane I fly.

For instance, in an LA7 you can perform this maneuver at 400mph in 1000ft of vertical airspace if you do it right (I usually use 1100ft to allow for trees). Then watch out you 6 view as planes auger behind you.

If they don't auger, you can lag roll immediately after and gain their 6.

I did this once on an FT map with 6 Spit16's on my butt and picked up 6 proxy kills as they all tried to follow me through. I also got the usual 6 PM's calling me a cheat and telling me an LA can't out turn a Spit.

It's all in the rudder baby.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
stick and rudder flying
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 12:18:29 PM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
I practice it in every plane so that I know the minimum alt I need at every speed in every plane I fly.

So in the 20 fighter/attack planes I've flown so far this camp that means I'd have to practice this..... my head hurts (probably from augering during all that practice).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
stick and rudder flying
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:26:44 PM »
No, you get up high and take an alt reading before you do it and after you do it and there's your number. No dying involved.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
stick and rudder flying
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:43:12 PM »
If find that if at an inferior energy state, diving to the deck is often the best defense because of the natural barrier the ground provides.  It greatly limits the attacker in his ability to dive on me, so permitting me to make a wide, fast turn into him.  I then pull up at the last second before he fires, and attempt some sort of lead turn.  I will try to post a film of the tactic sometime.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
stick and rudder flying
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »
The Trees make dam good bullet stop :)

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
stick and rudder flying
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 01:19:15 PM »
save your ammo.
auger the bastard.

one of my favorite AH truisms.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: stick and rudder flying
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 01:36:20 PM »
Originally posted by stephen
Id like to comment on a kind of flying ive been trying perfect over the years {though of course this is impossible},,,the art of forcing persuing nme fighters into the ground.

LMAO I LOVE doing that.
Almost as much and sometimes more fun then actually shooting them down;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
stick and rudder flying
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »
Just sit on a base in an ostwind without turret and go for lunch. When you get back the number of auger kills you get may baffle you and make you wonder wtf is up with todays kids and what effect it will have on the airforces of tomorrow around the world.

Make a slight comment on channel 200 about how many you got and you will soon see how todays kids are raised and tought how to reply to others. :)

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
stick and rudder flying
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 05:08:58 PM »
A couple days ago I was being chased by three unfriendlies in my FM2 I was looking behind me while trying to dodge their pesky bullets I looked forward saw a hill capped with tree's nearly peed myself and yanked the stick, rolled my plane up the hill between two trees suddenly I had three kills and nobody bothering me. It was somewhat satisfying in the sence that I should have died yet That nimble little pig  presented itself to be taken and ended up feeding the trees some very unkind attackers. I have been succesful at very low alt in that plane barley missing the ground and getting freebies(however I have given many as well).  
Lagger