Author Topic: Loss of members Idea  (Read 1522 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 04:45:06 PM »
How come Tilt?
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 07:38:08 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Center of the map, near no particular field, tower or strat object.

Statue of a plane in flight.
On the base "For all who have fallen"

No names, just a place to remember those we have lost over the years.
If I could edit my post, I would change it to that.

you are all right, just a "monument" for all, no names needed.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 07:54:33 PM »
Originally posted by daddog
How come Tilt?

Well I wrote a long narrative with many "reasoned" agruements and deleted them.

Frankly to me it just does not feel right.................

Who will be the gate keeper of this grave yard?

Who are we asking to determine which recently deceased community member should be so remembered? and which one should not be............

Skuzzy, HT, Pyro? would any one here wish to be the one to decide which dead ex player should or should not be so remembered?

or would there be a committee with rules etc................

can we imagine what rules could evolve? (see some above)

Personally I dont think the MA is a fit place for such a memorial.

For me its healthy to discuss the good times we had with deceased companions in places like this BB. The spontanious and mutual sharing of memories and opinions is a healthy part of  remembering those who pass away.

My opinion may be born of a different cultural back ground to the majority here.  But even so its my opinion.
Ludere Vincere

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 08:43:45 PM »
I'm kind of hesitant to post, but I'm with Tilt on this one. I think it's safe to say that the game, or rather the community, means more to me than I mean to HT. As such, asking HT to go out of his way to memorialize my friends is a bit much, IMO, but something done by players (the OZkansas map is the most fitting [hell, only] example of this I've seen) who wish to remember their friend seems much more practical, reasonable, and logical.

I know some of you know HT and company personally, and that's great, but many of us, like myself, are just an icon of some sort and an account number, and I would feel uncomfortable were someone close to me to ask this of them upon my passing. I love the community, and some of these guys are my real life friends, but for me at least, AH is not how I want to be remembered, nor what I want to be remembered for. If you really miss them, or they really meant something to you, do something tangible. I just don't think it's a good thing to do this in a game, sorry if this offends anyone.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:48:32 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Helrazr1

• Copper Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2007, 05:33:45 PM »
Hey Tilt and Hubs,

I think you guys pose some interesting arguments against a memorial, but what do you think about the memorial idea introduced above with just an ingraving stating, "In Memory of Our Fallen Brothers" or something of that nature?  It addresses all of Tilt's issues, as well as Hubs.  It would be simple to put together and insert into the maps, all while not requiring any upkeep, ie. adding names, etc.  It obviously would mean different things to different people, but everyone who has lost a friend would feel like they had a memorial to that person.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2007, 06:20:55 PM »
I just don't think we should pressure HTC to do them for us, which is the main thing I was getting at. I think it's on the players to do something, but I don't know precisely what HT allows with regards to custom objects or what-have-you.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2007, 10:08:10 PM »
This just like real life..If someone comes up witha good idea..the first thing that happens is ten  people jump up and tell you it can't be done......for those people I say get out of the way!....the next thing that happens ..as in really life sombody brings up the "legal" everyone wants to hind behind the "legal" skirt........Please always ask yourself when given the choice between what is ethical/moral verses what is legal...please choose the higher ground!...

THIS IS A DAM GOOD IDEA!

Offline Helrazr1

• Copper Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2007, 09:33:15 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I just don't think we should pressure HTC to do them for us, which is the main thing I was getting at. I think it's on the players to do something, but I don't know precisely what HT allows with regards to custom objects or what-have-you.

I agree that putting pressure on HT would be inconsiderate, and shouldn't be done.  However, I don't think that there is anything at all wrong with simply asking.  I was always told that if you don't ask, then the answer is always going to be no.  If in fact HT says no, then so be it, his game, his choice.  Never hurts to try though.

Offline 123456789

• Zinc Member
why not just new BBS link
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2007, 07:08:23 PM »
Why Can't HTC just add a new bbs link "War memorial". where people can post. Where you can say your memories about players. also could post films of memorial flights. This could be where families could go and see what was said about thier family member, without paying to get in game, maybe family could even post photo's for those who knew him or her. I could see young mans child wanting to know about his or her fathers passions and friends, all they would have to do is come into memorial and read about thier love ones. and Maybe gain insight to thier passion of flying or passion of thier friends. HTC could make Mod to reminder once in awhile saying Visit Memorial link BBS read about our gone but not forgotten friends and family.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2007, 09:48:12 PM »
This is just off the top of my head and not fully fleshed out so feel free to add / subtract / whatever.  What about a link to a seperate site in the O'Club that someone voluntarily maintains?

Link = 'fallen members'

And the owner / operator of that site hosts the bbs, memorial flights, etc.

Submissions can come from friends, squaddies, etc, but have to be verified according to the site holders terms (because, sadly as we all know, some internet tard will try to fake their way through).

That way the onus is not on HTC but the volunteers that care about the community and the camaradarie of the game.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline 123456789

• Zinc Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2007, 10:04:51 PM »
Originally posted by Dichotomy
This is just off the top of my head and not fully fleshed out so feel free to add / subtract / whatever.  What about a link to a seperate site in the O'Club that someone voluntarily maintains?

Link = 'fallen members'

And the owner / operator of that site hosts the bbs, memorial flights, etc.

Submissions can come from friends, squaddies, etc, but have to be verified according to the site holders terms (because, sadly as we all know, some internet tard will try to fake their way through).

That way the onus is not on HTC but the volunteers that care about the community and the camaradarie of the game.

boy wish i thought of this lol

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Loss of members Idea
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2007, 11:17:05 PM »
Well you left out the part about someone voluntarily getting the url, webspace, designing, and maintaining the site.  Your post kind of left it up to HTC in my humble opinion.  

If I read you wrong I apologize in advance.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute