Author Topic: Convention  (Read 516 times)

Offline pistol

• Zinc Member
Convention
« on: April 02, 2007, 12:05:48 PM »
Just wandering if anyone has heard a date set for the convention this year?
I know they plan on having it just do not know when.
Vegas would be nice place, flights are cheap for most everyone.:aok

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Convention
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 01:08:53 PM »
14 days
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Convention
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »
Most reliable sounding rumor I heard was October, in DFW area.

They did an off site convention one year in Indianapolis, and though I've never herd what exactly didnt go right there, (cost, complications, whatever) they havent shown any interest in dong another one outside of Texas.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Convention
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
Dale and Doug did one in Houston, I'm pretty sure it was 1997, that one and the one in Indy (2004?) were the only ones outside of DFW, probably only ones that will be.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Convention
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »
The one in Houston was a WB con...not AH. As for why not some where besides DFW...

HTC has a very small staff. In Indy only one person was able to come. Add to that the financial end and that should explain the "why".
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Convention
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:31:17 PM »
The lack of a formal announcement of the Con confounds me.

I can't see how making a public statement like "The Con will be held this Fall - details and location to be announced," is all that tough, especially since it gives people the ability to start making summer vacation plans, or start saving pennies for a Fall trip.

And speaking as someone who's planned two Cons (for Warbirds, one in Dayton, and one in Pensacola) I feel minimally qualified to mention the following:

1. It really takes 5 or 6 months of planning, part time, to make a convention happen.

2. If you're holding it locally and can spend more than part-time hours on it, 3 months is about as close as you can make it. Add a few extra weeks for a June date, since lots of hotel ballrooms are booked for weddings.

3. It's now April 2. June is two months away. This makes the possibility of a June Con pretty unlikely. That said, they surprised me last year with a June Con with just 3 months notice, so it isn't totally impossible. However...

4. October is 6 months away. That's a really good length of time to make a Con happen without stressing too much or paying extra "hurry-up fees". With the lack of an announcement, this "feels" correct to me.

5. Having a Con local to the business means you can have all your employees get to the Con without flying them there and back, and you aren't FedExing a million things back and forth. This is BIG SAVINGS and reduces headaches.

6. Having a Con at a typical "Destination Site" is a big mistake, and here's why. Suppose you have a Con in Las Vegas. Not everyone gets to Las Vegas every day, so you can count on a large percentage of attendees spending lots of time gambling, drinking, seeing shows on the town, and generally not being in the convention room. If people aren't in the convention room, there's no point in having a Con to begin with. I'm not saying Dallas is boring, but there isn't generally a lot to do outside the Hotel, so folks stay in the hotel.

Anyway, here's hoping we get an announcement soon...

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Convention
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 05:33:45 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
The one in Houston was a WB con...not AH. As for why not some where besides DFW...

Yup, Houston 97 was for Warbirds.

It was my first Con, and it totally blew my mind. I still look back at that trip as if it were a magical time, and in some ways, it was the best one I ever attended, even if there weren't enough phone lines for all of our modems.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
Convention
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 09:19:06 PM »
Originally posted by llama

It was my first Con, and it totally blew my mind. I still look back at that trip as if it were a magical time, and in some ways, it was the best one I ever attended, even if there weren't enough phone lines for all of our modems.

-Llama

Yah, I was still workin for Kesmai at the time. I found out about it Friday night and decided to drive over on Saturday and visit for the afternoon. Some evil WB guy got me totally schnockered and ended up crashing in a friends room. I never liked that game...but, the con's were a hoot. :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Convention
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 08:55:30 AM »
Originally posted by llama

I was there too, sat between the Rogue Gryphons and the Flying Pigs (MILI was crazy!) and kept stealing the phone line from VA31 (now GrmRpr) or anyone who went afk. I was one of those stoopid enough to show up with an ethernet connection...sigh.

I counted that con since it too was a Dale/Doug production. ;)

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
Convention
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 09:24:16 AM »
Isn't the conference, like everything else, going to start in two weeks?

:noid
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

I had a psychic girlfriend once, but she left me before we met

When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her someplace expensive....  so, I took her to a gas station

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
Convention
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 01:07:58 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert
I was there too, sat between the Rogue Gryphons and the Flying Pigs (MILI was crazy!) and kept stealing the phone line from VA31 (now GrmRpr) or anyone who went afk. I was one of those stoopid enough to show up with an ethernet connection...sigh.

I counted that con since it too was a Dale/Doug production. ;)

Actually, it would be more accurate to say Dale/John/Robert, I believe. :)
NoBaddy (NB)