Author Topic: terrain could look far better with a simple fix  (Read 853 times)

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
terrain could look far better with a simple fix
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 11:11:27 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Atmosphere. Immersion. Depth.

LOL, what?

Windmills planted on a barren, green, slimescape do this for you?!
Brother, you ARE easy to please!

I think that TREES, FARM FIELDS, ROADS and BUILDINGS add realism
and depth.  I'd gladly trade al the windmills for a return of these
realistic terrain features.  They add more to my immersion factor
than windmills do...unless augering into the featureless ground
is your definition of "immersion".
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:15:41 AM by 96Delta »

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 11:19:30 AM »
Turning up the gamma helps.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 11:29:14 AM »
Originally posted by Solar10
Turning up the gamma helps.

Not here. While increasing overall brightness (accompanies with eye problems after a short time) I still can't spot smaller contours on landscape like small hills, ridges ect. When I am in a valley and look towards hills/mountainsides, I just see a green wall, without any depth perception.
Same when flying low level in a plane, have a very hard time judging my alt or spotting hills (when ditching).

I fiddled with gamma, color vibrance and other settings.
Had no problems before this patch. My TFT is about one year old. No color or brightness problems in any other program/game.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 11:40:30 AM »
I also like the appearance of some of the details.  The first thing I noticed was how much more realistic the runway looked as I took off.  Then I got in the air and had the same problem with seeing terrain contours, etc. that others have described.  Since this is mainly an air combat sim I will take the old terrain as seen from the air over more realistic looking runways any day.  When diving on enemy planes It looked more like I was diving toward the surface of a pool table than realistic terrain.  I heard a lot of similar complaints over the range radio last night.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 11:44:41 AM »
While there are many things I like about the new terrain overall I think it's a big step backward.  I think we went from semi-realistic immersion to cartoonland.

Just my $0.02.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »
Bear in mind that with major changes to the terrain, HTC very likely deliberately scaled back the level of detail to ensure that they didn't negatively impact frame rate.  If it were me doing the development, you can bet I would have.  

It's an order of magnitude better to have hard to please players be critical of the terrain because it's "barren" than it is to have any significant portion of your player base unable to play because the terrain detail overextends the resources of the machine they are playing on.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 11:49:21 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
They're not very good sheep, mind you. They won't blow up when shot, and Waffle already branded them, so they're scarred. But yeah, we do have sheep.

Really wish the sheep would blow up.  Nice touch with the tree branches that fall off.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 11:53:10 AM »
Originally posted by Wizer
I think the moving windmills are a great addition.  WTG HTC and crew

Hmm You can't even blow up the wind mills.  Disappointing.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »
Below is what the terrain looks like on my end.  The picture was shot at noon at about 10,000 feet heading NE over A5 on the Baltic map.  The airfield looks like it is floating above the ground.  The airfield has more detail then the surrounding terrain which makes it look closer -- a lot closer.  The terrain also looks flat even though there are step slops off the ends of the runways.  The terrain does look nice higher up on the horizon where the hills meet the shore.

I have heard great things about this new terrain; but when I first saw it from the tower, it reminded me of AW and definitely a step back from what AH used to be.  Is it just the terrains are now using a darker color palate with less variation, or is it my video card and settings?  Maybe this is considered good by people who had problems with the previous terrain.  Is this the way the terrain looks to everyone?  If not, post a picture so I can see what the terrain should look like.

Thanks.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 03:23:10 PM »
That's exactly how it looks to me.  It's not just you or your machine.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline frosty

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 03:25:09 PM »
Originally posted by Husky01
Originally posted by Edbert

Nope I was interested to know the same thing so I took my jug up and went to go de-ack with 50s only and I must say it is EXTREAMLY easy compared to what it was, it seems all you need to do now is get bullets in the gun bunker to kill it no actually hit the gun.

It was like that before...i.e., don't have to hit the gun, just the gray area around it.

As for terrain, I'm starting to agree with those who say that from altitude, it's a big step back.  It looks like  giant carpet with some patches here and there.

Also, due to the darkness of the green, the planes with the green paint have become a helluva lot tougher to see.  Dove on a 38G last night and felt like I was hunting that thing from Predator.