Author Topic: About to buy this combo - any flaws?  (Read 287 times)

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
About to buy this combo - any flaws?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »
I would look again at the MoBo. It's micro ATX formfactor which is smaller than your standard ATX.  Check the specs on your case to make sure it will fit.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 09:29:21 AM »
That's not a problem, I'm shaping the case out of extruded vinyl and aluminum scrap myself.
Anything else?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 10:19:05 AM »
In that case, go for it.  Are you going to be running XP or vista.  If its vista, I would consider 2gig of RAM.  Its an insane memory hog.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 02:10:33 PM »
Originally posted by wooly15
In that case, go for it.  Are you going to be running XP or vista.  If its vista, I would consider 2gig of RAM.  Its an insane memory hog.

If it's Vista I would consider MORE.

Vista default (not using Aero Glass) took up 900MB or RAM while IDLING on a system that had only 1GB. Another system had similar, but was taking some of the RAM to share on the vid card (laptop). After whittling the entire thing down process-wise, I had it "merely" down to 700+ MB while idle.

Vista is bullhockey. IF you choose to use it, be prepared. By "be prepared" I mean take the minimum and double it: that's your new minimum. You then need to go beyond that minimum or you'll suffer later.

So, 1GB is the "new gaming minimum" these days. I wouldn't even dream of running Vista on it, but that's like saying Win98 ran on 64MB. Double that so your bare min is 2GB for gameplay on Vista. Then add more (3 or 4 GB) if you want it to be better.

RAM is dirt-friggin-cheap right now. In the past month certain brands have dropped literally 50% (and I mean name brands). Getting 2GB costs today what it took to buy 1GB 6 months ago. So, spend the same money and double what you want to get.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 03:16:39 PM »
I'll be running XP.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.. I forgot about this one :p
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 03:17:24 PM »
You can get 2x1GB sticks from Corsair for about $70 USD. Why not get 2?

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 06:16:11 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty

So, 1GB is the "new gaming minimum" these days. I wouldn't even dream of running Vista on it, but that's like saying Win98 ran on 64MB. Double that so your bare min is 2GB for gameplay on Vista. Then add more (3 or 4 GB) if you want it to be better.

2GB with Vista and AH is just fine even with no tweaking. With hi res and textures preloaded the whole system, AH and all, is using just under half of 2GB.