Author Topic: Tornado missed my house by 3 miles today  (Read 444 times)

Offline halcyon

• Copper Member
Tornado missed my house by 3 miles today
« on: June 18, 2007, 06:28:35 PM »
Had a close call today....tornado was spinning about 3 miles past my house in the early evening.

Sirens went off and hail hit the area, which had my flying down the stairs into the basement.
Don't know if it did any damage, but the good news is I'm still here!

See you in the (hopefully) blue skies! And prepare to die.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 06:43:52 PM »
 Glad it missed.  Hope to see you soon.  (Well actually not as it will probably mean I will die)
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »
wow

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:25:53 PM »
3 miles???? You got excited about a tornado 3 miles away??? Let me know when you've looked up into the funnel as it's forming and then watch a strong F-3 drop in the field a couple hundred yards behind your house. THAT will get your pucker factor going.

Of course I grew up in south west Oklahoma so tornados aren't that big a deal to me. Wasn't unusual to see a couple a dozen a year. They are really neat to watch as long as they're not tearing up homes and stuff.

The one that came over my house that I watched was in 1983 and I watched it with my Dad as it destroyed Altus AFB. Big sucker. It picked up a C-5 Galaxy, spun it 180 degrees, moved it several hundred yards up the flight line and rammed the wing into the nose of anouther C-5. Destroyed a bunch of barracks and hangers. Really made a mess out of that base. Took years to rebuild everything.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 08:52:40 PM »
I live in tornado alley.

A tornado mised my house in Benton by 200 meters 3 years ago.

Many tornadoes today.

I lived through Hurricane Fran.

68ROX

Offline NateWolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 08:56:54 PM »
I think I have seen a waterspout (that is what I think they are called) on Lake Erie on my vacation to Cedar Point. Closest to a tornado I have seen.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Tornado missed my house by 3 miles today
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:00:16 PM »
Originally posted by halcyon
Sirens went off and hail hit the area, which had my flying down the stairs into the basement.

Hmmmm, I fly upstairs in one of the spare bedrooms. I have to turn up the ac since it seems hotter upstairs. Drives my wife crazy. It must be nice and cool flying down in the basement. :)

Ren
The Damned

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 09:07:24 PM »
Originally posted by 68ROX
I live in tornado alley.

A tornado mised my house in Benton by 200 meters 3 years ago.

Many tornadoes today.

I lived through Hurricane Fran.

68ROX

I know how you feel Halycon.

Had an F3 blow by at 400 yards from my house in Laurel, MD back in 2001.

It killed 2 in College Park MD when it tossed a car with two co-eds over a parking garage.  They were the only deaths.  Amazing considering A: it rolled straight up the I-95 through College Park, Greenbelt and Laurel.
B: Maryland does not see a lot of tornado's so there is no 'siren" to sound.

Softail

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 02:03:15 AM »
Oh yeah?!  Well i have four kids that make it look like tornado alley all over my house... running to the basement does me no good since it only ticks me off to find the TV on, the toys strewn about, snacks hidden behind the couch and the cat locked in the toy box....  

really though, glad you survived

Offline Viper35

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 02:26:15 AM »
^^^ LMAO I got 4 little one's here too so I feel your pain!  There's no other feeling in the world when you get up at 4 am still half asleep and blind as you stroll to the bathroom, then to feel a CRUNCH.....as you step on a matchbox F-15!  Those dual tail fins feel so nice and dandy as they bury deep into the middle of your foot.  Now you are left dancing around in your underwear as you try not to scream and yell out every obscenity you can think of.  Kids are great! :aok
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 02:28:53 AM by Viper35 »

Offline Gwjr2

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:20:01 PM »
well i had a stripper spin off her pole right into my lap and spilled my drink no fatal injurys at last check  :eek:

seriously though lived in Ok. during the night we had like 50 something twisters go thru, we had 8 eight within 4 miles that night and the closest was about 2 blocks what a night that was. Think it was may of 98.

got outta tornado alley and moved back to Fla. now just went thru 7 hurricanes in last 4 years lol cant win hehe   :rolleyes:
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.