Author Topic: And yet another vet is gone...  (Read 853 times)

Rojo

And yet another vet is gone...
« on: March 20, 2000, 11:07:00 AM »
P-38 ace Mr. Val Bollwerk passed away late last week from a heart attack.  Mr. Bollwerk flew P-38 Lightnings over Europe.  He had six air to air victories before being shot down over German occupied Europe (I'm still researching the particulars, so don't qoute me on the details, yet).  The last two victories were on the sorty he was shot down on.  According to my sources, after downing his second Luftwaffe fighter on that last, fateful mission, he and his wingmen decended to low level to strafe ground targets.  His P-38 was hit by anti-aircraft fire, forcing him to bail out.  He was captured, and spent the rest of the war in a Stalag.  Val was eventually freed when the Allies overran the camp.  He is survived by (amoung others) his son, Mr. William Bollwerk, who currently resides in Colorado.  His family requests your prayers for the soul of their departed loved one, and for the family he leaves behind as his legacy.

Bill Bollwerk is an acquantance of mine at work.  After having my first book published, a series of short stories on WWII aviation (co-authored with Wabbit and a couple other associates), Bill approached me and told me about his father's experiences in the war.  I was excited about the prospect of possibly telling his father's story in a biography, and got Val's phone number.  The pressures of everyday life kept me from acting, but I kept telling myself I'd call him soon.  

Just this morning, walking the halls at work, I passed the door to Bill's office, and again reminded myself I needed to call this veteran and arrange to meet as soon as possible.  Not fifteen minutes later, Bill came in to my office to tell me his father had died.  Bill also told me his father had kept all kinds of memorabilia from as far back as 1940.  There were newspaper clippings, letters from home, and even gun camera footage of his downing of a Me-210.

When Bill saw all this material, he said he thought of me and grabbed it up, bringing it back to Colorado with him.  After he has a chance to sort it out, we're going to get together and see what he's got.  I am touched that he would share this treasure with me, and look forward to digging in and seeing a bit of history.  Thanks, Bill.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
My sons will learn the value of  the past, I can assure you.  <S> to those  that protected what we have  today.

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

"Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them."

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-20-2000).]

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2000, 11:17:00 AM »
<S>

------------------

-= Death From Behind =-

[This message has been edited by Wardog (edited 03-20-2000).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2000, 11:26:00 AM »
Salute them all.
Ripsnort. I have two boys that will understand well the cost that others payed for our way of life.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew