Author Topic: Different textures on every map  (Read 1112 times)

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Different textures on every map
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:39:20 AM »
**Warning, this may mess up your game big time and I am not responsible for anything that will happen, you do this on your own.**

Now,

********First, backup your stdshape folder.*******

All you have to do then is to download this zip file and extract it's contents into HTC/Aces High 2/cache/stdshape and overwrite if asked.
Method is based on replacing the default cache files with mine.
I haven't been able to this with other game textures yet, game crashes.

Here is an example, clouds on Smog8th map are different now:

Link to the zip file: http://croduh.mrmidi.net/clouds.zip

HTC, if i am doing anything that is not allowed, delete this post please.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:24:27 AM by croduh »

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Different clouds on every map
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:55:27 AM »
I have managed to change effects in game, on any map.

Procedure is same, download on your own risk.

http://croduh.mrmidi.net/effectscache.zip

Effects on default map (ndisles) preview:

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:38:58 AM »
Wow, very nice with those effects. I only wish I knew the CE better or knew how to operate it in text form (Yes, I saw the link to the thread describing how to do it.)
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline McFarland

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 03:04:34 PM »
You always find a way to make the game even more enjoyable.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:25:36 AM »
Managed to change all of terrain tile textures, works on every map that hasn't got it's own tiles.

New tt:

Link for downloading, procedure is the same, but the files into stdshape folder in your cache folder and overwrite.

http://croduh.mrmidi.net/tertiles.zip

Enjoy!

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 05:27:04 AM »
My personal opinion on this is you've gone to far. Changing the terrain textures on MA maps goes beyond explosion effects to near hacking.

It's one thing to build textures into maps. But to change them across the board and tell everyone how to do it without permission is way out of line. I think this has gone beyond the scope that was intended with the TE and custom textures.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if HT changed it so no custom textures could be used. Or, at least limited access to that ability to a select few.

You didn't think about the ramifications of changing textures across the board and now quite possibly we will all pay for it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 05:56:17 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 06:58:45 AM »
Its one thing to juggle custom textures for a map your building from scratch.

Its quite another to do this on an already existing map, and then tell everyone in the H2H forums exactly how to do this.

IMO you just crossed the line. Especially considering what happened last week.

Just my opinion, but I bet you get an email from Mr Skuzzy.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 07:01:07 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
...Its quite another to do this on an already existing map, and then tell everyone in the H2H forums exactly how to do this....
It's not only H2H, it's the MA maps that change.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 07:44:04 AM »
Yes, i think you are both right, i deleted files from the webspace, now if skuzzy could delete this thread, and end this.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 09:16:03 AM »
croduh, despite the harsh comments Nhawk and Ghost are both right.

What you've done would fall under the "user MOD" cataegory, since technically, what you've done is not build a new terrain with custom textures, but rather change the basic texture content of the game - thus, having a global effect in game.

If there's an alternative, I think what you should do is send these texture files to HTC to be used as the new "default" texture for the game. I've seen what you've done before you took the pic link down, and I must say they are quite impressive.

I'm sure if HTC feels that you've done a good job, they might actually take in your texture files to be used as a new basis for *.std files in future patches.

So, send HTC a sorry note, and then send them your works.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 11:05:57 AM »
Hopefully, they'll cut you some slack since it's pretty obvious that you didn't intend harm, only (and only potentially at that) may have misapplied some excess enthusiasm.

And a little voice in the back of mind keep's saying that being aware of a "loophole" in your software that you may not have considered is never a bad thing...

Anyway, keep up the good work - I'll be looking at replacing some of the default tiles in the terrain I've been working on, and your stuff lays an awesome groundwork (particularly as I struggle with the graphical tools, so my own efforts look like a 3rd grader's finger paint project....).

!
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline wigglepog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
Darn, too late.   :(   I'da risked it.