Author Topic: G-suits  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
G-suits
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 12:50:30 AM »
Originally posted by Nimrod45
Stupid question, but I wonder if that could have given him any knid of edge with the black out problem.

Apparently so, it is said that it did give him an advantage.

Originally posted by Makoyouidiot
That edge might be negated by the fact that he couldn't use the rudder.
Or bail out easily.

He could use the Rudder using his tin legs.  He could also dance, was an excellent golfer and could drive manual cars.

http://www.topfoto.co.uk/fotoweb/Grid.fwx?search=0446373

You could say that the tin legs gave him an advantage when bailing out - his legs got caught up in the canopy, which would have meant certain death for a normal person.  Bader just bailed out from his legs. ;)

I recommend reading his book if you get chance, he really was an incredible man.  I believe it is called Reach for the Sky.

I bet the legs became unbelieveably cold when flying at altitude, i wonder if he suffered because of that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 12:54:29 AM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
G-suits
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 02:14:06 AM »
dont realy know what this thread is about SORRY

im a hijacker

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
G-suits
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 07:30:54 AM »
(jumps up and shoots ink)

Im the thread marshall...i was waiting for that.

~AoM~

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
G-suits
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 08:13:33 AM »
Originally posted by Squire
By putting his artificial feet on them, which were attached to his artificial legs, I guess.

...btw, how does a guy with artificial legs remove them to decrcrese blood flow in legs that are made of tin.

???

9.5/10 on the "duh" meter.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!   15 maybe 20 on the duh meter.

Offline CAFghost

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.fly-ol-o-gy.com
omg
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 08:28:44 AM »
Originally posted by ColKLink
Does a leather thong count?

:rofl

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
G-suits
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:59 AM »
Originally posted by Squire
By putting his artificial feet on them, which were attached to his artificial legs, I guess.

...btw, how does a guy with artificial legs remove them to decrcrese blood flow in legs that are made of tin.

???

9.5/10 on the "duh" meter.

Seriously?

Offline ScorpCH

• Zinc Member
G-suits
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
While im sure he was a great pilot and a hell of an individual, talking about a guy who cut off his legs to prevent blackout still doesnt answer my question to whether or not g-suits are incorperated into the blackout/flight model of the mid (since they came out in 1942) and the later war fighters.  Cause if they are not, i believe that this would be historicaly inacurrate.  Alot of people dont give the American fighters the credit that that should and if this g-suit isnt factored into the blackout anf flight model i think i could understand why.  Coming from other like me that religiously believes in flying American P38's and P51's and gripes and moans when why have to fly german junk on squad nights, i feel thet we are being robbed of the full potential of our aircafts.  And besides, as if P38's are deadly enough already, adding a g-suit to the flight/ blackout model would be like taking a file to a saw blade and honeing it down till it can cut air :D

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
G-suits
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 10:42:47 AM »
I have no idea if g-suits are modeled in the game.  I would guess 'no' and all pilots suffer the same g limitations, but that's just a guess.  It will be interesting when combat tour comes out in two weeks where you can put 'points' towards your pilots attributes to make him more g tolerant.

Having said all that, in the reading I've done, the allies (and I'm sure the Axis too) had terrible problems with supply at times.  It wouldn't be a hard stretch to imagine that g-suits were in use, but unavailable to pilots, which would be the same as not having them.

Interesting question though.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
G-suits
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 10:44:41 AM »
Now wait a minute -- there is a BIG difference between "tested" and "deployed".

While the American G-suit was in testing as early as 1942, it was not in use until 1945. The first US G suit I can find being deployed was the G-2, available for issue in June 1944. It was large, heavy, and not issued without specific request. The first suit that was available as standard equipment was the G-3, whose design wasnt even standardized until March 1945. That meant it wasnt in common use until later in the year, by which time the sky was relaticely cleansed of LW aircraft. So from a military standpoint, the G suit had no appreciable effect on actual combat results.

You might consider it a "variant feature" of late P-51Ds, for example, but that doesnt mean that its effects should be modelled for OUR P-51D, any more than the effects of 150 octane gas or a 3 gun La-7 would be mandatory. (oops....)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:49:58 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
G-suits
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 10:50:40 AM »
My gripe is that I am in better shape than to black out at 4 G's.  I can take much more than that without going dark.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
G-suits
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 11:03:54 AM »
Simaril is correct. The Berger's G-3A was the first one to be widely used but it was not really common item until after the war.

And if you wanna model G suit then the sitting position should be also modeled.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
G-suits
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 11:11:12 AM »
Originally posted by Tiger
My gripe is that I am in better shape than to black out at 4 G's.  I can take much more than that without going dark.
Any decent roller coaster does more than 4 Gs.

In AH you start blacking out at 5 Gs (edges), at 6 Gs you can ride the tunnel for some time. You can push all the way 8-10 Gs (up to airframe structural limit) for a short time.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
G-suits
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 11:29:37 AM »
So americans don't get g-suits, but the fleet air arm does?  sounds good to me.:D

The RAF had 1000s of franks g suits IIRC but never deployed them incase they fell into german hands.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
G-suits
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 12:39:55 PM »
For those that took it seriously, Bader didn't really deliberately cut off his legs, he lost them after crashing a Bristol Bulldog at low altitude after attempting a low level roll as a dare (the Bulldog had a notorious sink rate).

One of the side effects of his lost legs was the ability to sustain higher G, hence my post.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --