Author Topic: Shooting Blanks?  (Read 360 times)

Offline Oddball7

• Zinc Member
Shooting Blanks?
« on: September 30, 2007, 07:48:16 AM »
Why does it seem I can hit a Plane, tank, Pt or any other gv with a ton of bullets and they lve, yet I get pinged once in anything and I get wasted? This is really frustrating me. I am a bad pilot but pretty good on gv and boat guns. I don't get it.
Thanks for any help

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Shooting Blanks?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 08:03:40 AM »
Accuracy, concentration and calibre.

Accuracy meaning you actually are hitting what you're aiming at.

Concentration meaning you're putting all your bullets into one area on the target. Good fire discipline and convergence should help.

Calibre meaning a 30mm cannon is going to take less good hits to bring the other guy down than .303 rounds.

I suggest that you film every sortie. Review after each online session and if there seems to be problems in the gunnery department you should be able to make corrections.

Shooting skills can be easily practiced on the offline drones.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Oddball7

• Zinc Member
Shooting Blanks?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »
I am hitting them. I can see the pings on the object.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Shooting Blanks?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »
Got film?

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Oddball7

• Zinc Member
Shooting Blanks?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:24:52 AM »
I'll get some

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Shooting Blanks?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 08:38:56 AM »
a quick look at your score shows you have a hit percentage of 1.24 in fighters, and 1.16 in GVs. Most of your kills are in GVs, where one hit....if well aimed... can kill a vehicle. Planes on the other hand, need a few more hits to down due to the smaller rounds you are throwing at it.

You seem to fly a number of different planes. While the ballistic for the cannons on the Nik and Las are close, the 50 cals on the P47, TBM, and FM2 are a bit different. Also, you have to set the convergence...or use the default.... but either way you have to know "where" the bullet streams from your guns converge, and only fire when the target is at that range.

You may be seeing hits, but not nearly enough to do the damage you need to down a plane.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Shooting Blanks?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 10:15:58 AM »
Distance from target also makes a difference.  Your bullets lose velocity as they travel.  Hits at 800-1000 yards are much less effective than those at 200-400 yards.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.