Author Topic: Foreign service officers balking on Iraq  (Read 543 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Foreign service officers balking on Iraq
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »
But what about the apparently unplanned for collateral damage?

(Wanders into "killzone.")

Hiya, skipper! Long time.

:)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 05:32:18 PM »
If they refuse to go, fire them.  End of story.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 05:53:45 PM »
To hell with firing them, toss them in jail.  That's what would happen to me if I refused to go.  We're both paid from the same taxpayer funds...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 06:00:32 PM »
They dont sign for years of service at a time do they?

I also doubt they get signing bonuses or the same college fund...

Apples to oranges.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 06:09:40 PM »
They have their own set of incentives, bonuses, pension, etc.  When they sign up, they accept obligations.  Yes they are different than the obligations for military service, but they are still obligations.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 09:20:19 AM »
Frankly, I don't blame them for not wanting to go.  I do blame them for refusing to go.  Comply or resign.  

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 09:58:37 AM »
"It's one thing if someone believes in what's going on over there and volunteers....."
The unsaid thing behind that statement is that many/most in the diplomatic corp are against the 'war ', and don't want to aid the Bush admin in furthering it. Goes somewhat against their oath.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 10:03:10 AM »
Originally posted by crockett
Yea but it was terrorism related and the countries wern't in the middle of a war zone.
Your point is what again?   Please elaborate.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 10:04:54 AM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
No they don't. Their job is to represent the policies of the United States whether they agree with them or not, and their job sometimes requires them to do so in countries that aren't exactly safe to be in. Every single one of those people including their staffs took a job with the State Department knowing full well that they might have to go overseas to a potential or overt hotspot to represent this country. If they don't want to go they have several options. Quit, or get fired from their job.

Their "point" is irrellevant to what their duty is. They weren't elected, they were hired to do a job. They deserve no special treatment just because they think it's a bad idea to go over there, or they are just plain afraid of going.

Personaly if I was running the State Department I would send every single one of them that complained and made statements to the media over there. The first one who refused or spoke out about it to the media I would fire them on the spot.

What it really boils down to is that they are diplomats. They are treated as VIP's every where they go and their heads have gotten a little to big because of all the special treatment. Now when it comes time to do something that might be a little dangerous or they disagree with it for political or personal reasons they think they can dictate terms, make policy, and that they should get their way because their important. Well their job isn't to make policy for this country, their job is to implement the policy handed down to them. If they can't do it, or don't want to do it, then they are no longer needed.
Excellent post Hornet.    

Crock-it, stop posting your anti-war diatribe.   Just leave the US if you can no longer take it.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 03:12:26 PM »
I wonder if I can get a job in the State Dept, but can specify I only want assignments in safe places with a villa on a beach?  Nothing third world please, I want to be happy, warm and fuzzy in my assignments.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 03:56:54 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Excellent post Hornet.    

Crock-it, stop posting your anti-war diatribe.   Just leave the US if you can no longer take it.

umm Masturbater..

Last time I checked we were all allowed to have our own opinions in this country. I thought that was what this country was about, freedom of speech and all that cool stuff.

So I will turn the table on you.

If "you" think that it's unAmerican to have a different opinion from yourself and what the govt does. Why don't "You" leave this country, It's obvious "you" don't believe in what our forefathers did. So why don't you move to China where everyone supports their govt and does what the govt tells them to do.

You would make a fine Communist and a great party member..
"strafing"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
umm Masturbater..

Last time I checked we were all allowed to have our own opinions in this country. I thought that was what this country was about, freedom of speech and all that cool stuff.

So I will turn the table on you.

If "you" think that it's unAmerican to have a different opinion from yourself and what the govt does. Why don't "You" leave this country, It's obvious "you" don't believe in what our forefathers did. So why don't you move to China where everyone supports their govt and does what the govt tells them to do.

You would make a fine Communist and a great party member..
Turning tables is what you are good at, hell you supported the LCA's.  

I'm tired of "Politically Correct" people like you.   My taxes pay Govt. Officials to do their jobs.   If they refuse, they can shuttle out of the country with their "supporters" like you.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 04:51:35 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC