Author Topic: Plane Matchup  (Read 377 times)

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Plane Matchup
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:50:40 PM »
Ok, so here are your scenarios.

I'm cruisin say 15 k in my Dora... I spot a P-51D, 12k coming in from 5 o'clock, headin right towards me, 6 k out.       Best thing to do to in this situation?

5k in a 109G-2, heading for a furball (why not?). I spot a high con, comin in 15k. Its an F4U-1C. He sees me, dives in on me.
Best thing to do?

Worst situation...
10k in a P-38J, spot 2 cons comin in at 16k, from my 4 and 11 o'clock. Spit 9 comin in from my 11 and a P-47D-25 comin in from my 4. Both heading right at me.
Best thing to do?

Regards,
Subway
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
Plane Matchup
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »
I fly p51s all the time and Id try to rope that 51.

H wont be able to climb with you.

start a shallow climb let him kill his e and then slam him.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Plane Matchup
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 02:12:58 PM »
I'm cruisin say 15 k in my Dora... I spot a P-51D, 12k coming in from 5 o'clock, headin right towards me, 6 k out.       Best thing to do to in this situation?

Kill him.  Keep some E incase he decides to turn tail.  Depending on the pony pilot, don't play any E bleeding games with him.  Slow in a Dora v. Pony isn't fun - it's winnable, but not the desired outcome given the initial altitudes.

5k in a 109G-2, heading for a furball (why not?). I spot a high con, comin in 15k. Its an F4U-1C. He sees me, dives in on me.
Best thing to do?

With such an energy difference (5k v. 15k), always turn into the attack and mind the Hog's snapshot.  Your main goal is to equalize energy states by bleeding his and sustaining yours.  By turning into his attack, you are making his kill window smaller.  If he commits, he may have to steepen his dive and inefficiently manage his E.  If he doesn't commit and flies timid, extend your distance between and repeat the process.  After some patience in this process, and depending on the pilot, you may be able to set up an overshoot situation and nail him in a reversal.  

If I were the Hog, I'd make a pass or two.  Then depending on which path you choose, I may choose to kill throttle and saddle up for a definite kill, or take a risk and commit for the high deflection kill.  Either way, you're dead if I'm in a chog. :D

Worst situation...
10k in a P-38J, spot 2 cons comin in at 16k, from my 4 and 11 o'clock. Spit 9 comin in from my 11 and a P-47D-25 comin in from my 4. Both heading right at me.
Best thing to do?

This one is tough.  The intent and aggressiveness of each enemy is unknown.  Always keep your energy up, be very aware of the situation, and just react.  

The best advice I can give is try to take the Spitfire out first.  Wait for one to make a mistake (most likely an overshoot) and capitalize on it - once again, if you turn INTO their attack and follow their path of departure, you will usually have a small kill window after their blown pass.  That involves spending a small amount of your E getting your nose up to them.  Just be aware of what the other guy is doing at the time - you don't want to try this if the two enemies are coordinating their passes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 02:15:52 PM by Octavius »
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 02:19:14 PM »

Turn, fly over him, turn onto his 6, make one pass, then run

Best thing to do?

Auger.  Re-up from a farther away base, come in at 20K.

Worst situation...
Best thing to do?
[/QUOTE]

Turn into the Spit 9...HO him.  P47 will be diving on you.  Force an overshoot.  When he turns around, HO him too.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 03:59:08 PM »
Originally posted by SuBWaYCH
Ok, so here are your scenarios.

Best thing to do?

Worst situation...
Best thing to do?

Regards,
Subway

WWSD? What would Subay do?

#1. HO and run.
#2. Bail out, up an LA7, climb to 25K and find chog.
#3. Run.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Plane Matchup
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 05:36:13 PM »
1.I'd turn into him, shoot off a short burst at 1.0K, and barrel roll. If he's still alive then Immelman and it's all about who gets a shot in first.

2. Dive down slightly to 2-3K, let them dive in and at last second, split-s and let them auger.

3. Truthfully, I'd get the heck outta there, run away.