Author Topic: Yak  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Whisky58

• Copper Member
Yak
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 11:49:18 AM »
Yak 9U is one of best fighters in game imho but has unusual & unique design feature whereby cockpit rear view is better than forward.
Whisky

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
Yak
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »
I fly the 9u quite a bit and find the low ammo count helps me ensure I have a kill shot before pulling the trigger.  I find that it's relatively small size does have its advantages, but I also find the short clip gives me a lot of assists.

I find the yak tends to loose energy quickly in the vertical fights.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Yak
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 01:28:57 PM »
Originally posted by forHIM

I find the yak tends to loose energy quickly in the vertical fights.

Well, they never did for me. That was always one of the fun things for me, being able to vertical fight with Laffers. Now, if you chop the throttle, it will dump E like my X wife used to dump my money (which coupled with its good acceleration can be a big advantage). But, under full power...I love it. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Yak
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 02:10:56 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
The Hurri IID has more powerful guns on it.

Nope, 37mm gun packs most punch in the entire game. So says Here

Look under" Plane/Vehicle info", then look for "Weapons Round power", and you'll see 37mm on Yak packs the most punch.

Larger Calibur doesn't mean it packs more punch. Most of the time, yes, but not always.

Regards,
Subway
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Yak
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
Hurri IID is more lethal, but I forgot about the Yak having only one cannon.

Stupid math:furious

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Yak
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 02:25:35 PM »
:rolleyes:

It states quite clearly the chart is "based on the number of rounds required to kill a hangar from point blank range"

Please note that the 37mm is NOT armor piercing. Armor piercing IS modeled in this game. The yak's rounds will explode externally. The Hurr2's rounds will penetrate, and even though they're not ranked as high as the 37mm on that chart (which I don't trust as an accurate method of ranking rounds), the hurr2d rounds are still able to kill a tank.

In most cases the yak's gun is not.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Yak
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 02:32:29 PM »
The Yak is a good plane I flew it for awhile, but I'll agree with Yeager and say I can't think of the last time I was shot down by a Yak. I don't really see them as a threat, in most cases they are just annoying to shoot at. If flown well it could likely be a real killer but I hardly ever see them flown well.
"strafing"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Yak
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 02:48:50 PM »
The Yak is a good plane.  It can outrun most of the planes that can outturn it, and it can outturn many of the planes that can catch it.  Also, there are a lot of planes that it can both outrun (or catch) and outturn.

I think the Yak might also be one of those planes that's hard to see.  I can be 300-400 back with a fine firing position, but the Yak can be against a background that makes it very hard for me to see if it is just jinking a little.

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
Yak
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 03:04:44 PM »
I've always had more fun with the T :aok
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Yak
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 05:19:24 PM »
Yak 9U is one of the most rewarding rides in the game and there isn't any other plane that I enjoy more. It's often superior in one aspect or more during most encounters. It's perceived lack of ammo really isn't a problem unless your always trying to spray shots over 200 on average most kills only take 20 to 30 rounds.

If anything it would be nice to have a little more range especially for the big maps. And of course updated to AH2 standards.

...-Gixer

Offline jon

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.wildaces.us
Yak
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »
wow! i think i agree with Krusty what is the world coming to?

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Yak
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 08:29:12 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
:rolleyes:

It states quite clearly the chart is "based on the number of rounds required to kill a hangar from point blank range"

Please note that the 37mm is NOT armor piercing. Armor piercing IS modeled in this game. The yak's rounds will explode externally. The Hurr2's rounds will penetrate, and even though they're not ranked as high as the 37mm on that chart (which I don't trust as an accurate method of ranking rounds), the hurr2d rounds are still able to kill a tank.

In most cases the yak's gun is not.
Yep.  Try killing a town building with a panzers AP rounds vs HE rounds, and you will see what effect Krusty is referring to.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Yak
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 09:00:38 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Yak 9U is one of the most rewarding rides in the game and there isn't any other plane that I enjoy more. It's often superior in one aspect or more during most encounters. It's perceived lack of ammo really isn't a problem unless your always trying to spray shots over 200 on average most kills only take 20 to 30 rounds.

If anything it would be nice to have a little more range especially for the big maps. And of course updated to AH2 standards.

...-Gixer

For the first time last night I had a Yak that used energy efficiently against bombers and slashed correctly. Meanwhile he was flinging those pumpkin balls at me. This was at 12,000' where you rarely see the thing. It was a different Yak flying then Im used to seeing and I was surprised it retained energy as well as it did, which was as good as most.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"