Author Topic: two 8 way hats, and AH views....  (Read 626 times)

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
two 8 way hats, and AH views....
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:58:01 PM »
Ok, I give up.  In a thread a few days ago about trackIR, several of you mentioned using 2 8-way hat switches for views.  I've thought about it for a couple of days, and I just can't figure it out.

The first is obviously to select your view... but what view related function do you use a second 8 way hat switch for ??

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »
I use 1 8-way hat for 360-degree view (with "forward" being mapped to forward_up), and I use a single button for "view up" -- so that way I get any direction with "any_direction+up"

Then I'd use the second hat for something else, like aileron and elevator trim, or for gear, brakes, flaps, or bomb bay doors, marking bombsite, bombsite calibration mode, or whatever (based on what MODE I'm programming)

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 03:15:32 PM »
But I think some people may use the second hat for the "up" views.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 04:03:21 PM »
To simulate TIR, I think HAT1 is pan_left/pan_right/pan_up/pan_down, and the HAT2 is headposition_forward/headposition_back/headposition_right/headposition_left

So you can pan in any direction and move you head that way as well. The two in combination should approximate TIR, from what I've seen of TIR.

IMO, I'll stick with snap views. It's faster, simpler, gives the same basic results.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 04:39:37 PM »
Before  I had Trak IR my JS POV had horizontal 360 with the "top" position as forward up asn mentioned above.

My throttle POV had up and down views with pan left and pan right.
Ludere Vincere

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 04:48:35 PM »
Originally posted by Yippee38

Ahh so I do the same with a single hat switch. I was trying to figure out what they needed all those view for.

I have a single hat switch that I use for all my 360 degree views. However I then use a button on my joystick to look up. When pressing this button I can then use my hat switch for all the up views as well.
"strafing"

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 05:19:24 PM »
My primary views hat was for 360-degrees all around. Toss in the "Shift key" button plus the primary hat for "45-degree up" views. (In other words KP5 plus KP4, for example.)

The secondary views hat was for "45-degree down" views (in other words, KP0 plus KP4), and then I would use the shift button for special views that were a little hard to get to otherwise. I would only use the secondary views hat occasionally.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 05:57:04 PM »

Yepper:aok

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 08:50:36 AM »
Aaah.  Thanks - it's so easy and intuitive to use the KP5 and KP0 modifiers for the hat switch to select 45 up and 45 down views that I didn't think of having a seperate 8 way for those.

I've tried the "panning" modifiers attached to the mouse view on my throttle, and it worked very poorly, so I thought someone might have a clever way to better do that.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 06:29:16 PM »
I've heard some pilots will map it to the 'arrow keys' and 'page up/page down' which controls your head position, not just your field of view.

I only have one 8 way hat tho.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 10:07:58 PM »
I have one hat on the stick for the 8 views 360 degrees.  I use the up down of one 4-way on the throttle.  You can add any view with the up or down to get all views 26 views.

You have two forward views, both hats in the center position, and your hat forward.  I have the hat forward view set for a forward head position in aircraft.  For vehicles, it's a head up and down position.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 10:36:21 PM »
I have my keyboard space bar programmed for "up" view, then my hat 360 so I get all views. Love the space bar up, easy to hang on to the up view, especially flying upside down

Offline 2fly

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »

Thats what I do.

Top hat is mapped to

look forward and to the side over the cowl
look forward up left and right
look back up left and right
look back level
look up left and right

Lower hat is mapped to
look forward up
look  front, right, left,
look left, right
look back left right
look up back.

Look straight up is mapped to a button.

In case you are wondering why the look back and look up back buttons are on opposite hats its because I find that I use look up back most when evading and it is easier/more comfortable to pull back on that hat while pulling back on the stick.  Same with mapping look straight up to a button, its just  easier while turning hard to hit a thumb button for me.