Author Topic: Flying underground  (Read 601 times)

Offline Bobby

• Zinc Member
Flying underground
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:45:35 AM »
I shot film yesterday of an unnamed low rank player. In the film this player flys underground, and under the runway. The view goes haywire when he does from internal, but shows it clearly when external. I cannot post it here, but will send it, thinking I will get little response. Has anyone ever seen this? Is it a glitch in the filming? Would an experianced player be willing to take a look?
Thanks.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Flying underground
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:56:32 AM »
bobby,
my best bet is that he or yu suffered from a little lag which made it look like he flew underground.

if he didnt come back up again he probably lost host connection or if he came up again and carried on flying it was probably just a little innocent net lag. ive seen it from time to time.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Flying underground
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 01:04:31 AM »
Dude, little is lost where little is found!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Flying underground
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:09:13 AM »
woah...this thread is all too deep for this time in the morning

no pun intended.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Flying underground
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:09:25 AM »
My guess is one of you had a momentary bout of packet loss. It happens periodically, and can result in you seeing some really odd things on your end.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
Flying underground
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 02:58:10 AM »
A little off topic but when ever i auger (happens alot) i see a bomb sight anybody know why?
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Bobby

• Zinc Member
Flying underground
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 08:36:04 AM »
can you tell from the film if it was lag? I mean does the film recorder record data as well? Or could it be lag on the other person? I will film others and see. I have an excellent high speed connection, but you never know I guess.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 08:38:25 AM by Bobby »

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Flying underground
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 08:40:36 AM »
I may still have the file, I saw someone do the same thing once.  When I replayed the film, his alt read -(yes I said minus) 1800 feet before he disappeared.

I guessed he alt-f4'ed or just discoed and the system kept his last track until it decided that he was indeed not connected..

Quite funny watching it from his plane's perspective..  Did you know caves were modeled?  :D
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Flying underground
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 08:46:55 AM »
Originally posted by Bobby
can you tell from the film if it was lag? I mean does the film recorder record data as well? Or could it be lag on the other person? I will film others and see. I have an excellent high speed connection, but you never know I guess.

You may have "an excellent high speed connection" but everyones connections CAN dump packets. With everyone doing there christmas shopping on line, and sending there "dancing elves" christmas cards the internet is very busy and packet lose can happen at any time.

You can send the film to HTC, and they WILL check it. You may not hear back anything they find, seeing that this is most likely just a lag problem, but they will be able to tell.

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.avengersonline.com/index.html
Flying underground
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
You may have "an excellent high speed connection" but everyones connections CAN dump packets. With everyone doing there christmas shopping on line, and sending there "dancing elves" christmas cards the internet is very busy and packet lose can happen at any time.

You can send the film to HTC, and they WILL check it. You may not hear back anything they find, seeing that this is most likely just a lag problem, but they will be able to tell.

:D
:rofl
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
Flying underground
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 11:50:40 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive You can send the film to HTC, and they WILL check it. You WILL NOT hear back anything they find, seeing that this is most likely just a lag problem, but they will be able to tell.

Fugitive is 100% correct with the exception of my edit. HTC will not be contacting you about a "c" word incident. It's not been their practice before, I doubt it changes for you.

This event is caused by the other player not transmitting any packets to the server to update their position. On your end, the smoothing code in the game predicts the path of the aircraft, you see him fly in the direction he was last headed. After a few seconds of no communication with his plane, the server dumps him and he disappears. In this case, he probably disappeared into the ground. It's not a bug, C**** or exploit. It's simply packet loss.

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Flying underground
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 12:31:59 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
woah...this thread is all too deep for this time in the morning

no pun intended.

But it is well grounded if even a little dirty :rolleyes:

Do you think this may be a grass roots squad?

Bobby..... between you and the AH server your connection takes several hops through other servers. At any point a server may have an issue.... now add that your opponenets connection passes several hops to get to Ah servers also..........
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:37:19 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Flying underground
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 12:59:03 PM »
oh god, how could it get any worse now

:lol

the puns in this thread are at least 6-feet under so far. and while the dancing elves almost make up for it, any further attempts at humour i make are definitely going to lag below the surface.

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.avengersonline.com/index.html
Flying underground
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »
Your going deep on this one bat,:D I guess we have to start from the ground up...wait one more,it must be the foundation of this new grass root squad:p(yes I guess I do have too much time off work to dig this stuff up)..hehe
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA