Author Topic: Earnhardt + Hendrick = Sprint Cup  (Read 347 times)

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Earnhardt + Hendrick = Sprint Cup
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:14:58 PM »
What a great race.  I think he's unstoppable.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:36:08 PM »
Yeah, I watched it and is was definitely a good race.  It was good to see Earnhardt back in the winner circle after a 2 year drought.  I"m a Mark Martin fan too and I'm glad to see him in the number 8 with DEI now, I hope he does good this season.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 10:13:41 PM »
It's just one race. I like Jr., and I'd like to see him succeed, I think he'll do well, but one race just doesn't make a season.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »
Yeah but I'm sure it was really nice for him to win his first race since leaving DEI and going to Hendrix.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:48:25 PM »
Hendrick.

Yeah, I agree.  I can't believe Teresa's assinine decision in regards to Jr.  I don't think Dale would approve if here were still here.  And I must admit, I was never an Intimidator fan, but his death has left a huge void in the races now, they're just not the same.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:52:54 PM »
Yeah Theresa ruining DEI, atleast Tony Eury Jr left with Dale, I'm glad to see them working together again.  The day Dale died was a dark day in my house:( .

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again here. The problem at DEI is that Richie Gilmore has been promoted to a position he is not even close to qualified for. That is the main reason for the mass exodus of talent and money from DEI. Once Gilmore was promoted from head of the engine department to VP, the downhill slide began, and it may not ever be reversed. First they pissed off Jr. by letting Michael Waltrip go, and that cost them NAPA, which Gilmore was sure he'd keep. It also cost them Domino's and Burger king, as well as a full 1/2 dozen other associate sponsors. It took Jr.'s favorite team mate and partner. All because Martin Truex and his father held Gilmore's feet to the fire and got a good contract. After that, Gilmore felt he had to beat Michael up to prove he was in charge. Now DEI has lost both Tony Eury Sr., (who was one of only two people who SHOULD have been VP) and Tony Eury Jr., as well as Steve Hmiel (the other person who SHOULD have been VP).

At the same time Gilmore started the disaster, when Richard Childress came to DEI and offered to form a joint engine program, Gilmore practically spit in his face. The whole time, the engine department at DEI, the ONE place Gilmore WAS qualified to run, fell into a state of disfunction. Finally, Gilmore had to go to Childress and BEG for help, and they had to buy Bobby Ginn out to get some decent talent back after everyone else left.

So at this point DEI is a full 2/3 less money and less talent than they had 3 years ago. And they're dependent on Childress for help. Eventually, DEI will become a subsidiary of RCR, owned by RCR everywhere but on paper, or possibly, IF it hangs on long enough, it will belong to Jr. and his siblings.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »
Virg, I don't disagree with your assesment, hell I don't think it's debatable.  But what is so amazing, so totally unthinkable, is how Teresa has let DEI slide the way it has in part due to her lack of a relationship with Jr.  Dale had carefully worked to put DEI on the presipice of a truly great team and she just let it slip away.  What's even more surprising is what is happening given Dale's glowing remarks of Teresa in the movie "Dale" and how her "business smarts" actually laid the foundation for DEI.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 01:00:03 AM »
Mark your calendars... Virgil you are 100% on the spot. I agree with everything you said.

One race don't make a season but this was a huge "IN YOUR FACE" to Teresa and DEI. Screw the movies, Teresa don't know how to build race cars.

I was never a Dale fan. I'm not a Jr. fan. I'm not a Chevy fan. But I found myself rooting hard for Jr. tonight.

Racin' is racin' and you never know, but I've said since the day he signed Jr. would win Daytona. It looks like his chances are better than I thought.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 01:09:40 AM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 09:31:23 AM »
Theresa knows, or perhaps knew, at least at one time, a great deal about marketing and management. It is VERY true that it was Theresa who was smart enough to trademark things like the stylized 3, the nicknames, the signature, and the color schemes. She's partly responsible for RCR's success in that her decisions paid off not only for Dale but for Richard as well.

However, she has failed miserably in managing the team, at least with regards to the people, and I am surprised by that. Dale knew about people and how to put them together, as smart as Theresa was in other areas, I expected her to learn those lessons. When Ty Norris was shopping around to replace Michael, Theresa stopped that, and I was thinking she had learned from Dale. But then she promoted Gilmore instead of Steve or Pops and I thought it wasn't good. It wasn't. It's really sad, because the legacy Dale left for his kids is in serious jeopardy, and may not survive. I think one big problem is Theresa is seriously biased towards Taylor Nicole, and against Jr., Kerry, and Kelly King. She's GOT to grasp that they are ALL Dale's children, and DEI belongs to ALL of them.

SaVaGe

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »
Nascar

Oh look they're making a left turn!

I wonder what they'll do next?

:rolleyes:

:p :t
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Nascar

:rolleyes:

:p :t

As opposed to what Formula 1?

Oh look, they're driving with a 3 billion dollar computer!
Oh look computer controlled anti lock brakes!
Oh look, computer controlled electronic shifting!
Oh look, computer controlled steering!
Oh look, computer controlled active suspension!

Or maybe IRL?

Oh look, another IRL driver wants to race NASCAR!
Oh look, another IRL team has folded!
Oh look, another IRL race with empty stands!
Oh look, another OEM has taken control of IRL!

I'm not really a huge NASCAR fan, mostly I know a few teams I have some sort of connection to, but IRL and Formula 1 just plain suck. I actually prefer dirt, such as sprint cars and dirt late models, as well as drag racing (I drag race).

SaVaGe

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 10:52:31 AM »
Darn I got a quick bite there! I hope the 4lb test line holds! Maybe I'll let him run the line a bit......

:p :D
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »
Nascar

a "debris on track" yellow flag to keep the field together.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Darn I got a quick bite there! I hope the 4lb test line holds! Maybe I'll let him run the line a bit......

:p :D
A got a feeling theres a lonely bridge somewhere out there right now.