Author Topic: is this the best way  (Read 403 times)

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
is this the best way
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »
I fly the 190 d-9 and I stay above the flight and b&z in it but I try to pick my targets by avoiding targets such as zeros spits and la-7s should i be going fo those in my dives or not it would be nice if someone could tell me

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
Re: is this the best way
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »
also how do you shoot on snap shots ive never really shot anyt hing unless im dead on him please help wiht that too

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »
Before anyone jumps on you for this, you might want to edit your posts and tidy up the spelling/grammar/punctuation a bit.

I'm pretty much in your situation, but I've found constant firing at drones offline helps my aiming a lot.  If you want, try turning the plane ammo multiplier up to 100 (or as high as it can go) and the plane gun damage down as low as it can go (you can only do this in the offline arena settings).

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 03:59:17 PM »
Better yet, do as Yossarian suggests and also do a BBS search for "lead computing gunsight" and turn it on in offline mode.

This will give you a better understanding of how much lead to use when you are using the regular sight.

"Facing up to 200 Russians eager to have a nibble at you, or even Spitfires, can be quite enjoyable...but curve in against 70 Boeing Fortresses and all your past sins flash before your eyes."

Major Hans "Fips" Philipp
Geschwaderkommodore, JG 1
206 Victories. KIA 8 October, 1943

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
If you BnZ then I suggest you start with the highest con first and work your way down. Learn this from ChainGun and it works wonders on living when you're out numbered!

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:43:47 PM »
I fly the 190 d-9 and I stay above the flight and b&z in it but I try to pick my targets by avoiding targets such as zeros spits and la-7s should i be going fo those in my dives or not it would be nice if someone could tell me

Those are some of your best targets. Their pilots are often inexperienced. Spits don't have the best rearward views in the game either. If they see you they will often do simple break, from which you can often gain a shot. Just don't extend your playing with Lalas too long below 8k, you want to reserve some excess energy for zooming up to where your performance is better and leaving. LaLas pretty much hold all the cards below 8k.

I don't know how much you know, so....

Like the other guys said, the highest enemy around is your biggest problem. D9 is a one trick pony in that you can E fight alot of things but turn fight nothing. Figure some way to make him a non-issue, kill him, make him dive away, move away from him, whatever, remember diving under higher cons to attack lower ones is essentially saying "latch onto my six with speed gained in diving". BEST case scenario there in the D9 is usually being run off or having to get help.

Don't dive vertically down & beneath the people you are attacking. At least 3/4s will pull up for the vertical overshoot with attendant vertical HO if you're diving steeply, putting you at a disadvantage. (You DON'T want to HO in the D9. Its radiator goes out from the slightest damage. Only attack buffs within gliding distance of a place to land.) If anything, it is ideal to level off in your dive and be coming from slightly below when you fire. You are harder to see and already pointed in right direction for zooming back up to alt. Consider approaching from directions other than dead six, such as approaching from his wing tip iniatially, then lagging into six position. Tracers off is better, because a slight miss here won't be a warning.

Your machine guns and cannon are mounted fairly close to center. They are good to 400 yards, farther if you are a hotshot. Remember the 20mms have quite some drop to them though. Keep in mind, that when the distance counter says -400, that is NOT 400 and closing, it is 500 and closing. When in doubt, getting closer is better. One good burst when it says -200 will always do the job. I set the guns to 300 and leave it there. Tracers are more trouble than they are worth IMO, once you train yourself to the gun you use. Don't fly "pipper on the target" all the time, you have more options against evasives if you are slightly in lag until ready to fire.

Your speed during a pass is situational, depending on what your intent after you fire is. Most people go way too fast, the highest speed the airframe will tolerate doesn't let you maneuver very well if he evades. 500+mph is for when you intend to "one pass, haul a**" only. But the Dora can't turn to pull lead for a shot very well below 300IAS, either. One of the strengths of the 190s is that they are responsive while simultaneously being very steady gun platforms. The ailerons give it fantastic roll and cause very little yaw. As well, the rudder has great authority and can skew the nose to get a shot in against last minute evasives, don't get too stomp happy with your rudder though, bleeds e and can really be a bad habit in your shooting.

There are two ways to hit someone doing your common break turn. If they start breaking at say, 1K, cut across their path by going either nose low or nose up, rolling, and then pulling up/down to point your nose at a moment in space and time you judge will cut across their path at just the right time for a crossing snap shot. "Snap shot" means firing a stream of lead into the space where they are GOING to be, as opposed to tracking someone for a shot in a high-g-turn. Watch for jinks at the last minute. The lack of tracers helps you here, because your can open fire without *telling* them "jink now!". A distinct possibility frome here is that they will have the turn rate and audacity available to come nose to nose with you before you enter firing range, either to HO, or more intelligently, dive beneath you. You do not go nose down for a low percentage shot, enabling their lead turn with -E consequences for yourself, and you certainly do not risk a HO. You pull up to zoom and immelman, high and pointed at their general six quarter again.

The other possibility is when you are nearly in firing range when they break. Match the angle of bank AND flight path of their airplane as best you can. Set their airplane on the "point" of your airplane's nose cowling like a hood ornament, and keep it their in the turn until you are very close, 200 or less. Watch for skilled jinkers. Pull your sight smoothly through the tail, canopy, squeeze the trigger and keep pulling as the sight passes through their prop and they pass beneath your nose. Once again, tracers off helps you here by not giving them a plain warning to jink.

The primary difficulty factor in any crossing angle shot is your opponents speed, how fast he is moving across your sights, more so than his turn rate or radius. That is why experienced BnZers will often try to bleed the opponent's speed with a couple of non-committal passes before they set up for the kill.

If someone rolls quickly into a split S, you can often get pings in, esp. if you were "lagging" slightly. You do not follow them in their Split S though, nor do you follow the guy who keeps making split Ss, vertically or oblically. Though he will never equalize E this way, he can basically keep this evading game up until y'all reach the deck. It's called a suck drag, he is trying to pull you beneath higher friends. Don't go there unless it is sure to remain 1v1.

Finally, while remembering the main thing IS to kill anything red by whatever means possible, fly with polite consideration to those in green. Clear people's sixs, not their 12s, don't use your speed to jump in and steal kills. When practical, ask permission to turn/kill apparently escaping bandits and bandits whom a friendly has apparently "hung up". (He might want to finish the rope himself.)  There is no guilt in removing fixated pursuers from a friendly tail, their failure to look backwards is their own fault.