Author Topic: Ole 122  (Read 884 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Ole 122
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:51:55 PM »
In the case of individual aircraft, most are famous because of the man who flew them, or were associated with them. This is one of the few that's legendary in her own right.

White 122 of VMF-111.

Ole 122 has a singular distinction. Of all the hundreds of thousands of aircraft that saw service during the Second World War, she is the ONLY one on all sides to receive an official citation for her own, singular contribution to the war effort. She flew 100 successful combat sorties (85 of which are indicated on the skin) and logged over 400 flight hours without once having to return to base from mechanical failure, with a total distance travelled covering over 80,000 miles. After being retired in honor from the combat zone to the United States due to age she continued to fly, taking off on a cross-country tour of all the plants that contributed parts to the manufacture of the F4U Corsair.

Her citation, which was later varnished into the cockpit, read as follows:

“In accomplishing her 100 missions, Corsair No. 122 logged more than 400 hours flying time, her total hops, including tests and reconnaissance flights, reached an amazing total of 178. Built for air combat, Corsair 122 proved her versatility by accepting 1000-pound bombs slung from her belly, and without strain or protest developed into the hottest dive bomber with wings. Were there blood in her fuel line instead of 100 octane, she would be wearing  the Purple Heart, for the patch on the leading edge of her wing attests the accuracy of Japanese antiaircraft fire. She has covered all the Japanese based in the Marshall Islands like the morning dew.”

:salute
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Re: Ole 122
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »
Ah yes, good Ol' Hog 122.
Your other skins have more weathering, though... maybe you could weather this one in a similar way.
Good job, Sax :aok
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ole 122
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:24:27 PM »
This is just a quick WIP shot. I just started her this afternoon so haven't had a chance to get that far yet.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.