Author Topic: Squad fighter ranks out of wack  (Read 1544 times)

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Squad fighter ranks out of wack
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »
Brought this up to Support 2 weeks ago and was basically told my math is off. My last and most detailed email got no response. So I'll lay it out here again and try to be brief.

First a few disclaimers and some ground work. The "Scoring in Aces High" help page states "Each player has a fighter rank, bomber rank, attack rank and vehicle/boat rank that is determined from each of ten categories described below.  Overall rank is calculated by adding up the ranks from the four mission types, and the player with the smallest sum is #1, next smallest #2, etc."
It goes on to explain how each category is scored, but not how it is ranked. I have always thought that whom ever had the highest score for a mission type category got #1 rank for that category and have never seen differently.

And I will concede that no were on the page does it say anything about squad scores. Only "Each player". But I have always been able to apply the same math to squad score and rank that is used for player score and rank. Well, at least I can use the statistics at the bottom of a score page to derive the same Kills/Death, Kills/Sortie and Kills/Time as the scoring system does. I do not have all the info needed for the other categories and I have to take them at face value. But this is all for scores, not ranks.

I have always believed that a players or squads rank for a mission type was figured the same way overall rank is. You add the 5 or 10 category ranks for that mission type together and whom ever has the lowest gets #1 for that mission type. Was told that is NOT how it's done. Well, I find it vary odd that that's how it is. 

No where is it more apparent than when there is a tie for a mission type. Look at any tie as far back as Tour 12 and although the stats, scores and category ranks may be wildly different, the sum total of the category ranks for both players or squads will always be the same. And I've looked hard for an exception.

Now here is the problem: The principal of adding category ranks to derive mission type ranks works for player fighter, bomber, attack, vehicle/boat and squad bomber, attack, and vehicle/boat.
It does not work for squad fighter. Or more correctly, within the top 10. Further down the list it seems to correct itself. But as far back as I can look at squad scores (Tour 12) this has been the case. Two ,3 and sometimes 4 squads in the top 10 in fighters don't belong there. Even if you don't look at the category ranks you can tell by the category scores they are not doing all that well.

And when you consider what being #2 or so in fighters can do for a squads overall ranking the problem is compounded further.

When this was brought to my attention by someone else, I did not just discount it as someone not knowing their math. I am surprise that is what support basically did to me.

Either this is a bug or squad fighter ranks follow a different set of mathematical principals than all other mission types including player fighter ranks.

I would like to see this either corrected or explained.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Re: Squad fighter ranks out of wack
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:05:12 PM »
It must use different math, or else larger squads would always trump smaller squads, as they would accumulate more total points in all categories, even with individual stats identical to those of the smaller squad, which would make the squad ranking very biased. Maybe it's as simple as ranking the averaged individual stats?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:52:04 PM »
More reason to love AH.

Fight. Pick. Vulch. HO. Ram. Bomb. Attack. Capture. Defend. GV. Man guns. PT Boats. Torps. Goon. Resupply. Pork. Strat.

Then when you're tired of all that, try to decipher the scoring system. 

The fun never stops.

HONK!
Gooss

CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »
hubsonfire, I wish that were the case. Take todays LW fighter leader. A large squad but are 45th in points. The sum of their fighter score catigory ranks should put them below the 24th squads(tie). There are smaller squads that have out pointed them by a bunch and do much better on the 4 ratio categories.

By my math or your handycaping theory they should be at the bottom of the page. And the #2 squad in fighters should be way off the page.
Only the top 3 squad in fighters are out of sequence. The third flew a lot of sorties and is 10th in points. But they are not a small squad and the sum of their catigory ranks is 683, way off the page by my calcs.

Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:44:16 PM »
The only reason they have scores in this game is for people like you who enjoy mathematical puzzles. They are so easily padded/tweaked that they are not even a reliable gauge to compare your own stats month to month.

Enjoy your puzzle, throw pi squared at it, maybe it will all even out  :D