Author Topic: As mentioned in other threads: CLOSEABLE FIELDS  (Read 179 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
As mentioned in other threads: CLOSEABLE FIELDS
« on: February 28, 2000, 07:54:00 AM »
As Kieren and many others have pointed out, this will solve some problems of parked B26's etc.

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Rip1~Warbirds~)
JG2 "Richthofen"

"Opfer mussen gebracht werden"
— Otto Lilienthal

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-28-2000).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2000, 09:20:00 AM »
Gotta vote against it....
Bombers are too accurate, no heavy ack yet etc etc.
I still think that the combo of a good b26 pilot and three good vulchers and a good goony pilot are hard to beat.... Any one of those guys less then good and the whole thing falls appart.
But when an A team shows up at a field people dont complain about how 1 fighter can stop the capturing a  field from any attack they instead complain about how easily people can capture a field from any defence...

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2000, 09:45:00 AM »
As long as an undermanned team has to defend against superior numbers, you will see the respawn defender (I am one). Being cut to 3 fields often, what option does the low team have? When it's two fields, should the defenders not try to get up?

I would much rather have the field close than to have a B26 parked at the spawn point. Vultch me all day long if you like, but I absolutely hate the B26 trick. Of course, the P38 will certainly surprise the unwary B26.  

Then again, now we'll have P38's parked on runways.  

Nevermind. Close the fields!

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2000, 12:09:00 PM »
Definitely for "Field Closure" !!

This unlimited respawn, strafe the troopers from the ground crap is.... well, if I only want to use nice words... its total crap.

Otherwise, we will continue to see "dweeb moves" on both sides.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2000, 01:48:00 PM »
I think we should have both Paras and Combat Engineers. Have the ability to take either/or both types. Paras will engage ground threats and engineers head straight for map room. Then we won't see ppl waiting in tower till 47 comes to vulch paras. I’d like to see them try and vulch engineers while paras lob grenades at them.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
I Have been waiting since begining of beta that AH would get closeable fields... but still theres no closeable fields.

Pongo,
"But when an A team shows up at a field people dont complain about how 1 fighter can stop the capturing a field from any attack they instead complain about how easily people can capture a field from any defence..."

I Have complained, then when theres been couple more defenders...
I Have also complained about 1 defender, because I have tested defending alone, with success.
I Have most of times succeeded in defending field alone against many enemies, simply by taking off with spitfire and strafing paras...
Theres not too many intelligent vulchers.

Btw. B-26 thing was meant to be countermeasure for unlimited planes.. and make field be "closed".
I Think I was first one to use B-26 in that role.
I am not ashame of it, because I see it as countermeasure against another unrealistic thing, unlimited plane respawn from swamp.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2000, 01:07:00 PM »
Hear Hear on the closeable fields.. when everything is leveled (maybe including runway) then no longer spawingn of A/C possible)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2000, 01:15:00 PM »
I don't care one way or the other on closeable fields.

However, as I pointed out in the the other thread about 35K bombers ("Small Rant"), this would be a major change to gameplay.

It will inevitably lead to other problems that will then have to be addressed.

In short, closing a field will make for rapid and easy capture. I have a feeling that's REALLY going to change the way the game is played. Be OK, though, if you're on the winning side.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Citabr

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2000, 07:20:00 AM »
why not drunks that attack planes on the ground and in air if inside the tiny range of the weapons?

kinda like death from a thousand ant bites.

be fun to watch a drunk throw a grenades or a panzershrike at a b26 and then run around with a tommy gun spraying cockpits of would be instaspawn wannabe drunk killers  

heck I would love to ride in a goony bird as a drunk to do that  

or maybe get rid of insta spawn planes all together and have the pilots run to their planes from wherever they are on the field

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2000, 03:25:00 PM »
At present ack on a small fiend can be taken out by a single fighter.  From there any other targets are strafe fodder.  If enough damage closed the field it would simply be too easy to do.

Right now taking fields is somewhat difficult.  When vehicles come in it will be even more difficult, but I think this is a good thing, not a bad one.  I don't want to see a team down in members run through in a matter of minutes.

Fatty

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2000, 12:40:00 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion the M16 Halftrack and the Panzer are gonna change this entire discussion.

XX
Pigs

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2000, 04:04:00 AM »
Alright I know it's one of my "pet" rants but Why don't aircraft fall into craters left by bombs?

Closable fields? sure, the accuracy of the current bombin model should make it impossible for fighters to strafe troops. The action of laying down strips of 100's would make it progressivly more difficult for the defence to respond. (As in real life) but also with repair time being carried over into the new ownership would then make the field vunerable to counter attack. (As long as the ack goes back into the rebuild time).

TTFN
snafu

funked

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2000, 05:08:00 AM »
Respawn Sucks.

Close the Damn Fields.

Or else make field capture dependent on targets located far from the QRP (Quakebirder Respawn Point).