Author Topic: Bumper stickers = road rage  (Read 352 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Bumper stickers = road rage
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »
http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080613/full/news.2008.889.html
...or so nature article says. Frankly, I don't see any reality in that article. I've seen none "spiffied up" with equal or more rage than a beat up car with "Obama for change" stickers.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Bumper stickers = road rage
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »
So bumper sticker folks were a whopping 16% suspected to be likely to be engaged in road rage. What is the percentage of error in the study and how large was it? An article based on a "study" that does not provide details of the study  is just editorializing.   :huh
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »
Not sure about the 16% being a significant statistics, but what I do know is that people with Kerry/Edwards stickers should all be awarded free bottles of rubbing alcohol and scraping implements.

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »
So bumper sticker folks were a whopping 16% suspected to be likely to be engaged in road rage. What is the percentage of error in the study and how large was it? An article based on a "study" that does not provide details of the study  is just editorializing.   :huh

They provided the reference, including a link to the published study. That describes the materials including the statistics. For example:

Participants with no territory markers had lower aggression ratings (M = 3.56, SD = 2.23) than did participants who reported territory markers (M = 4.67, SD = 2.95). Consistent with Hypothesis 2, using an ANCOVA with sex as a covariate, presence of territory markers was found to be a significant predictor of aggression, F(1, 167) = 4.64, p < .05, η2 = .03. Participant sex was not related to aggression, F(1, 167) = 1.47, p > .05, η2 = .01.

See?
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:08:16 PM »
Obviously bumper stickers are hate speech and must be outlawed immediately.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:23:13 PM »

mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
That is nice but hardly definitive for the basics of the study. If the study was taken at a cowboy bar parking lot or a biker hangout it would certainly skew the results as far as the study was concerned. Same thing if they took the study at a downtown park in san francisco.

Demographics selection is critical for validity.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »
I can't view the linked article, but this article from the Washington Post ran in the local paper Tuesday. I also noticed this article on bumper stickers while searching for the first link. Now, one was run on a simulator, which isn't very impressive to me, while the other used one real world situation, although it doesn't specify where or for how long. Not very impressive either.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 05:26:35 PM »
I think bumper stickers are merely the opiate of the confused. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 05:31:18 PM »
Like the one I seen recently in Texas?

"I Brake for Ukrainian Babes"

:P

Mac

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 05:37:26 PM »
"Imagine healthcare, not warfare" :lol
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
I used to have a PETA one that read, "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals". That and with all my bowhunting and hunting stickers on my truck, NRA stickers...ect I would get a kick out of the flag burning, whale saving, Nobel society crowd that would drive past frothing at the mouth. Best was when I scored my first "eater" of the season and would have a nice fat doe in the truck bed.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"