Author Topic: asus xonar Dx  (Read 523 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
asus xonar Dx
« on: June 25, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »
Skuzzy, can you use this card in AH? It said that every game must have eax 5.0 manually enabled. (whatever that is)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Re: asus xonar Dx
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:27:03 PM »
Asus Xonar DX 7.1 sound card runs just fine in AH II.

I got 1 in my box.

IMHO, every bit as good as Creative X-Fi series w/o the driver bloatware.

The only "downside" to this card is that it costs more & it needs auxillary power via a floppy drive connect (if you got a spare connect off your PSU) or a 4-pin Molex to floppy drive adapter (can be hard to come by).

Otherwise it's an audiophile's dream come true.

On the EAX 5.0 the Xonar's driver does a VERY good job of emulating EAX 5.0 effects (Creative holds the rights to EAX 5.0) in games that are written to use it--so much so that it is virtually undetectable between the Xonar & X-Fi in head-to-head testing.

Check out the review of the Xonar at Tech Reports.

If you're running Vista & gaming this IS your card to have.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:45:25 PM by Pudgie »
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »
Good to hear, may order one tonight.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »
Creative has always had terrible drivers, and they STILL have problems in vista.  I've never used the Asus board so I can't compare.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:23:21 PM »
I have been looking for a true sound card and was going to pull the trigger on a Creative one a few months ago but I will look into this one.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 06:24:29 AM »
ASUS is making a serious stab at competing with Creative and that is a good thing.  From what I have been able to read, there seems to be some minor issues with the ASUS drivers, but nothing that could be called a show stopper.

I'll probably nab one for my next home computer build.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »
Yep Skuzzy I found out 1 of them.

If you set up the Xonar to handle 192 Khz sample rate & start playing games the Xonar will creep out from time to time & lock up. Once I reset the sample rate back down to 96 KHz for games--no more problems.

As I read up on this I found that most games are written for maximum sound sample rates of 96 Khz (Creative sets the standard since they're the leader in this area as I understand it & all Creative cards max out at 96 Khz) so it seems that the driver may have been freaking out trying to sample game sound at a rate that games are not written to be run at, IMHO. But you're the expert in this area so does this make sense?

It also could be heat related as there are no heatsinks on the DSP's & since the Xonar uses auxillary 12v power to do it's thing you know it's gotta run somewhat warmer than the other cards out there & on my Abit IP35 Pro mobo the PCI-E 1x slot is above the PCI-E 16x slot that has my GeForce 7900 GTX vid card in it & below the NB P35 chipset w/ passive heatpipe fin cooler--it's probably a safe bet that I ain't got a good enough flow of air around it to keep it cooled sufficiently when pushing the card to it's max capacity. But this is just subjective commentary as I don't have any creditable proof.

The 192 Khz sample rate is geared more toward music reproduction as I understand & when I played my music CD's at this setting I saw no problems or issues w/ the Xonar at all.

Hopefully Asus will tune the Xonar drivers to automatically adjust the sample rate to fit the usage in the future so this issue doesn't occur. But IMHO this ain't even a show stopper.

If you get 1 of these suckers, just remember that the DX is 6 3/4" long & might not fit on some mobos due to placement of adjacent equipment around the PCI-E 1x slots. Mine cleared the 1st DIMM slot on my mobo by 3/16". If you get more ambitious & get the D2X it's 7 1/8" long (I got that 1 also-it's as large as a Radeon 9800 vid card!) & it wouldn't clear the 1st DIMM slot. You have been warned!  :D

Pair the Xonar up w/ a quality set of speakers..................... ..........& see for yourself.

:aok
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 11:27:03 PM »
Ordered one today!

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »
I have it installed but am having problems in the game with voice. Could use some help.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 06:49:29 AM »
Need someone who has one to chime in on this.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »
I have it working okay. At least better than my SB and Onboard sound. This is what I did. I ran a registry cleaner and then ran a driver cleaner for the old onboard sound drivers. I have found the xonar works best at 48 mhz or 96 mhz but not very well at 192. My desktop usage is now 0 - 4% currently instead of 4-7%. From the looks of things it looks like I need to completely shut down my AV program, which is Avast. I do turn off the online access.

My wingies are giving me a 5 x 5 on vox. So if they can hear me that's all that matters. Additionally, wow, is that a lot smoother ride. No hiccups when I fire the guns initially.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »
Getback,

That's the 1 area that I haven't tested this Xonar in as I generally don't use ingame vox even though I have all of it set up. Most of the time I can't remember which channel you're supposed to talk on <hehe>.

I'll have to look into this & get back w/ you on what I find.

Are you using AEC & VocalFX w/ ingame vox?

Oh, 1 other thing. You did check to make sure that DS3D GX 2.0 was enabled when you're gaming, right?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:09:58 PM by Pudgie »

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »
Pudgie, my main man, where have ya been!? I don't have any of the vox options selected. Should I. Heck I don't know what they mean or what they do.

What and where is the DS3d GX 2.0?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 03:50:53 PM by Getback »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 02:53:17 AM »
DS3D GX 2.0 is the DirectSound API-equivelant that Asus uses to provide full D3D sound-including Creative's EAX 2.0 (native) & EAX 5.0 (emulated) sound effects along w/ the others. If you're looking at the driver utility to the R there should be 5 icons arrainged in a circle-the icon w/ "GX" should be lit up (enables DS3D GX 2.0). If it's not just click on it & your done.

I tested my mic out today in Windows--all working just fine. Went into AHII & tried it--I could hear myself thru the speakers but nobody responded to me from in the game so I don't know if it's working or not ingame.

Does AHII like a mic that is setup w/ mic boost enabled in Windows?
Does AHII like to be setup to use wave input?
Does AHII have to have UDP working for vox to work?

I think I'm doing something wrong but I can't find it ATM.

Got any suggestions?

:)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 03:28:17 AM by Pudgie »

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 08:43:36 AM »
Okay, DS3D GX is for Windows Vista. I am running Windows XP. Whew! figured that out.

I believe most AHII players use mic boost. I do

I use Wave in. However I'm really not sure about using it. I have to do some tests.

The last question is I don't know. I think that's a skuzz question.