Author Topic: Parked  (Read 318 times)

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Parked
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2000, 02:09:00 PM »

Originally posted by Soulyss:
Hey Spatuala, I was one of the guilty party the other night with the arguments on channel 1.  I was not an eye-witness ( I was down around F5 at the time) and when the stuff started to fly on the open channel that involved my friends I probably jumped the gun. For sticking my nose in where I had no idea what was going on I apologize.  Hope we can meet on good terms in the future.  

Soulyss, i don't hold anything personal against you. Its all too easy to take text conversations the wrong way. That is why i just squelched you guys. It aint worth the verbal sparring match that dont solve anything.

Indeed, next time we meet i'll look forward a less heated encounter  

Thanks,

------------------
Supreme Mega-Overlord Spatula
"...perfect for serving"

=1st Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assualt Group=
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Parked
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2000, 02:50:00 PM »
Mino,

I tend to agree with you on the fix, and counter fix problem. However, The issue of B-17s acting as ack was 'fixed' by disabling their guns on the deck which DID led to new problems ie parked aircraft at respawn point (cause they can do it without fear of destruction by a parked bomber). Now, you'd ague that 'fixing' this would introduce more problems. Maybe so. But at as the state of affairs currently stand it's a bit unbalanced. Currently NME craft (ie fighters) can fire on the ground in offense/defense but only have guns in the front, whereas bombers are totally defensless. Sounds a bit unbalanced.

Maybe disabling guns of the fighters while they are on the ground would fix this, or maybe it will open up more worms who knows until it actually happens.

this is not really a problem, it is intentional game design. Problems are what arise out of players "Eaking Out" and using "Loop Holes" in game design.

Do you suggest that players be 'responsible' and this will never happen cause it goes against AH etiquette? Or will HT have to be more heavy handed and force AH etiquette by virtual laws. While there are people willing to bend the AH etiquette then we have to go with HT laying down the law to maintain fairness.

I do like what you said about the actual respawn point. We should be able to pick it, not just always start in the one place. This would get around this problem without any ripple effects.

Also as i suspected, and mentioned in my original post, and others have mentioned that the vehicles WILL fix this problem once and for all, again without any more rules introduced. Lets see that 109 shoot a panzer  

I think this debate is about to be rendered irrelevant very soon - lets close this can o' worms  

To infinity and beyond...

------------------
Supreme Mega-Overlord Spatula
"...perfect for serving"

=1st Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assualt Group=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 03-14-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Parked
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2000, 04:05:00 PM »
Spatula;

Do you suggest that players be 'responsible' and this will never happen cause it goes against AH etiquette? Or will HT have to be more heavy handed and force AH etiquette by virtual laws. While there are people willing to bend the AH etiquette then we have to go with HT laying down the law to maintain fairness.

No sorry, I did not even mean to imply this.  

I simply meant that as the "Games Is" players will play it.  By this I meant "Gaming the Game" and not any form of percieved player etiquette or external player rules for how to play the game properly.

FWIW etiquette to me means only one thing.  That is being somewhat polite and avoiding rudness.  Other than that, I have no problem what so ever with players "Gaming the Game".

My thoughts more along these lines are of the game design providing the boundaries.  This design comes hand in hand with the designers thoughts on how these boundaries will be used and how the game will be played.

Players on the other hand will come up with endless ways to play the game that the designer had not considered when the game was designed.   These ideas will force the game designer to make changes providing new boundaries.

Player imposed boundaries drum into countless, and often pointless, comfrontations between players.  These human imposed boundaries destroy what I call "community harmony", simply because not everyone agrees they should all be the same thing.

If I don't like what is happening then I appeal to the game designer.  But the players after all, are only playing within the boundaries set forth and that is OK in my book.

BTW just because I know of a "Loop Hole" I seldom choose to use it.  The object of my play is to relax, enjoy and have fun.

Thanks for your reply!

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Parked
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2000, 04:11:00 PM »
Though it won't be historically accurate, I plan on shooting a Panzer with a 109.

30 MM BABY!!!!!!!!

Rockets too.

Oh God, now I have to learn to hit things with the rockets.

------------------
Lincoln "Downtown" Brown.
 lkbrown1@tir.com  
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Parked
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2000, 04:13:00 PM »
Spatula;

No sorry, I did not even mean to imply this.  

I simply meant that as the "Games Is" players will play it.  By this I meant "Gaming the Game" and not any form of percieved player etiquette or external player rules on how to play the game properly.

FWIW game related etiquette to me only means one thing.  That is being somewhat polite and avoiding rudness.  Other than that, I have no problem what so ever with players "Gaming the Game".

My thoughts more along these lines are of the game design providing the boundaries.  This design comes hand in hand with the designers thoughts on how these boundaries will be used and how the game will be played.

Players on the other hand will come up with endless ways to play the game that the designer had not considered when the game was designed.   These ideas will force the game designer to make changes providing new boundaries.

Player imposed boundaries drum into countless, often pointless and hostile, comfrontations between players.  These human imposed boundaries destroy what I call "Community Harmony".  This is simply because not everyone agrees on what the "Player Imposed Rules" should be and should not be.

If I don't like what is happening then I appeal to the game designer.  But the players after all, are only playing within the boundaries set forth and that is OK in my book.

BTW just because I know of a "Loop Hole" I seldom choose to use it.  The object of my play is to relax, enjoy and have fun.

Thanks for your reply!

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
Parked
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2000, 04:41:00 PM »
Minotaur, at the risk of ruining your reputation by approving of your previous posts...I like the way you think.  Very straight forward, calm and collected.  Outstanding!  I wish more players thought more like this.  It's refreshing to hear a calm voice in the flames/garbage normally found in threads like this!  (I'm guilty of adding to the garbage too...)

Thanx again.

Aaron "Terror" Edwards

[This message has been edited by Terror (edited 03-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Terror (edited 03-14-2000).]

funked

Parked
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2000, 05:42:00 PM »
Yes!  Soon you will be able to take your panzer and blow the crap out of the parked A-hole.  

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Parked
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2000, 07:36:00 PM »
"Oh God, now I have to learn to hit things with the rockets."

Eeeyup. Thats why I started a topic asking the "how to's" on rockets in the training forumn.  

-Westy

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Parked
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2000, 11:17:00 AM »
Oh......my GOD AH is not a GAME.
Fifty lashes to anyone who calls AH a game!!!!

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Parked
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2000, 01:03:00 PM »
OK Torque...

Time to wake up, get dressed and head off to school.  

LOL

BTW chain me, whip, me beat me just don't let that pitcher of beer go by me.  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Parked
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2000, 03:09:00 AM »

Originally posted by Spatula:
Which makes it possible for planes (fighters) to sit on the deck firing at people rolling. Which makes it too easy to capture feilds.

IMO dissabling guns is not realistic, even for landed buffs.
Dusiading people to land on enemy fields to obliterate respawning planes is easy:
Any enemy plane landing or ditching near (2 miles radius) to a friendly field is automatically captured if he still on his landed plane for more than 10 seconds..
IMO buff guns should keep enabled on the ground, using buffs for base defense is aceptable. But, those buffs guns should be totally uneffective against paratroops and be enabled 30 secs after the Buff has respawned.