Author Topic: Squad "invalid" ranked #1  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: Squad "invalid" ranked #1
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 08:26:28 PM »

I heard Dicho makes a good one of those  :O

*kicks DB squarely in the crotch 

Morf could I interest you in

edit: aww crap the ex made her myspace private
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »
means less then two people in a squad or the squad has been disbanned
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »
The fact that there are 1 and 2 player "squads" begs the question "Why is this permitted?" I have no problem with a 2 player squad, but a "squad" that consists of less than 3 players shoud not be ranked, out of fairness to the squads that are actually doing the "squad thing". Why should Lusche (for example) with his "one man show" be ranked in the same catagory with the L.T.A.R.s or A8s or AKs? Individual rankings serve the purpose of giving good players like Lusche recognition...  A 1 person squad smacks of elitism and is a travisty to those that maintain a "real" squad. A squad by definition is an organization not an individual. My opinion is that until a squad consists of more than 2 players it should not be ranked.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 10:09:25 AM »
Individual rankings serve the purpose of giving good players like Lusche recognition.

No.. they serve the purpose of singling out players for public ridicule :D

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 10:56:03 AM »
Thanks to this thread I have found the link to the scores page and in open mouth -jaw dropped - perplexed look - saw that our squad is ranked 4th overall and 1 in fighter rank..

I then proceeded to inform my fellow squadies as they came online:

"hey Spacer we are ranked no.1 in Fighters" -   "huh" ?
"Hey wrag we are ranked No. 1 in Fighters and 4th overall" -" what does that mean"?
"Hey Proploss- we are the topped rank squad in Fighters" - " hahahahahahahahah" "you looked at the score page"?
"Hey teufl, we are one of the top ranked squads in her now" "Well duh....yeah... why you think i fly 18 hours a day"?

Pause

"Hey Lute, we are ranked No.1 in fighters"  " what do you mean -WE- " ?  Pause..."muttering"... "Well, uhh, its a squad score"... "Snort"

Pause..... "(How do you squelch a squaddie) I thought......"

"hey wrag...you know any new songs you can sing on squad vox"?
Lute: "oh jeez, ok fine it's a squad score"....."snicker" ....
"Hey N8, we are ranked no. 1 in fighters".... "Are you a score dweeb"?...pause..... "No i saw the bbs story about squad scores".... "You read that crap on the bbs"?.....Pause......"(Who invited this guy in the squad?)..I thought.... "just this one time"...."Snort"
"Hey Rocky...we are ranked No.1 in fighters"..."Shut up newbs..I'm clubbing baby seals and running ....making them whine on 200"......Pause...."where you at"?

:aok

NwBie

OK fine but heck I'm excited....
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
squad       (skwŏd)  Pronunciation Key
n. 

1. A small group of people organized in a common endeavor or activity.
2. The smallest tactical unit of military personnel.
3. A small unit of police officers.
4. Sports An athletic team.

Mntman's response which made me laugh and I never forgot :rofl

Well, #4 doesn't apply here.  No athletics needed for AH.

And the issue I see with the other three descriptions is the word "small" or "smallest".  If we go with that idea, the issue isn't the 2 or 3 man squads.  Those meet the definition of squad shown above. 

The issue would be all of the squads that don't meet the "small" rule.  The squads at fault would be the "moderate" or "large" squads, which aren't even squads at all since they fail to meet the "small" or "smallest" requirement.

So maybe we shouldn't be griping about the squads that have only a few members, since they've obviously got it right.  We should be rising up together to vanquish the real problem in AH!  Lets remove all squads from the roster that don't pay attention to the definition!  Vanquish all moderate or large squads! 

I think a reasonable # would be 5 members at the top end.  Any squad larger is unnecessary.  And don't be thinking it's ok to cheat the system either!  Forming several squads with similar but slightly different names is just a way to have a bigger squad while appearing to be several smaller squads.  What bunk!

Large groups have an unfair advantage over the smaller squads.  How is a two man squad going to compete with a 30 man squad?  I wonder why they don't televise sports events showing a two man team versus a 5-10 member team playing football, basketball, volleyball, or even horseshoes?

The large squads are the issue!

(BTW- I am a member of a two man squad.  Twice it has temporarily risen to three men, but then come crashing back down to two again! *Sigh...*)

MtnMan

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 02:01:08 PM »

I think a reasonable # would be 5 members at the top end.  Any squad larger is unnecessary.  And don't be thinking it's ok to cheat the system either!  Forming several squads with similar but slightly different names is just a way to have a bigger squad while appearing to be several smaller squads.  What bunk!

Large groups have an unfair advantage over the smaller squads.  How is a two man squad going to compete with a 30 man squad?  I wonder why they don't televise sports events showing a two man team versus a 5-10 member team playing football, basketball, volleyball, or even horseshoes?

The large squads are the issue!

(BTW- I am a member of a two man squad.  Twice it has temporarily risen to three men, but then come crashing back down to two again! *Sigh...*)

MtnMan

You current "squad" is a "flight" not a squad... not a section... not a group!
I disagree with your conclusion. I am a member of the False Prophets. We currently have 18 members but our roster has been down to as few as 11 in the past two tours. Our members are scattered across North America and as a result, it is rare to have more than 4-6 on at any given time. Our members also have their own preferences... Some like to GV, some like to blow stuff up, and some like to furball. We all like to fly (or drive) together and like to have fun.

Someone told me the upper limit on a squad was 24 (I am unsure of the exact number). But there IS an upper limit in place now. I maintain my position that the bottom limit should be set at 3 for squad scores. It is fair to allow 1 and 2 player squads... How the heck else can one get a squad started... but their scores as a squad (as applied to rankings as a squad) should NOT count until their membership reaches a minimum threshold of 3, IMHO.

Also the last time I checked, squads were not going head to head against each other in the MAs except in the larger context of what was happening in that country vs. whomever they are fighting at any given moment.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »
Lusche has the brains of a whole squad so therefore Lusche and his brain are a squad. OMG I sound like Yogi Berra  :huh
Lighten up Francis

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 03:51:19 PM »
How Many New Airmen Will Get Sore Feet.  ;)
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »
MtnMan's response from last year in a different but similar thread was meant to be a joke , he was not serious.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 09:51:53 AM »
MtnMan's response from last year in a different but similar thread was meant to be a joke , he was not serious.
<sound of a 155mm round whizzing over my head>
I can't believe that I missed that one A8Tool!

It does beg the question "Why are 1 and 2 player squads included in the squad scoring system?..."
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life