Author Topic: A6M5b Elevator Trim  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: A6M5b Elevator Trim
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »
No it is exactly true you are describing limitations of the simulated pilot not the plane.  I addressed that issue in the same post.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 11:10:32 AM »
No it is exactly true you are describing limitations of the simulated pilot not the plane.  I addressed that issue in the same post.

Well, that's splitting the hair. I'll rephrase. CT limits performance in some circumstances. Is that better?

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »
Well, that's splitting the hair.

Yea, sorry about that...Hard to avoid.  It's a myth control issue. 

Offline FireDragon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 01:35:28 PM »
explain exactly what you mean about CT overiding flaps.

i'm lost.

I think what I am trying to say is best described by mtnman in other thread.. If your splitting hairs override is a bad explanation of what I am trying to convey.......  I think someone with your experience already knows that.  I am trying to get people off CT and see the difference for them selfs. I said basically the same thing mtnman said mine was a bit more of a generalization.   

Ya it doesn't work that WAY... if your splitting hairs  but the effect is the same.

"                      "You CAN leave CT on during the whole fight.  It does a pretty good job of trimming the plane in the "normal" range of speeds.  However, at high or low speeds, "dirty" configurations (flaps or gear deployed, or an off-center DT), or flight attitudes other than level and straight, it has some quirks that could cause it to be seen as a "handicap".  CT works very well for basic flying, but not so great for more drastic flight attitudes and maneuvers.[/glow]

It basically trims the plane (or tries to) so that at whatever direction you point the plane, the trims try to compensate and minimize the required deflection of the stick from neutral.

For example, if you go into a prolonged dive at a given trim setting, without adjusting the trim, as speed builds your nose would have a tendency to come up.  If you didn't dial in some down elevator trim, you'd be required to hold the stick forward to maintain your dive angle.  In AH, dialing in the down trim happens automatically with the CT.  As your speed builds in the dive, more and more down trim is added until it maxes out at full down trim.  This is nice in the dive, because you don't need to hold the stick forward as much, but not so nice when your trying to pull out of the dive.  In this case, your trying to pull up, but the trim is fully down!  See the problem?  This is what most people think of as "compression", but really it isn't.

Keep in mind too that "more" isn't necessarily "better" in terms of control surface movement either.  Imagine if we could deflect our elevator fully 90 degrees up.  How effective would that be?  What if we could go beyond that, so the elevator actually pointed forward?

It doesn't take long for people to realize that using manual up trim makes dive recovery easier.  However, they often assume it helps for the wrong reason, and then confusion sets in.  The assumption is that it helps because it seems to give additional up elevator.  It doesn't!  It gives less down elevator trim!  Visually, it has the same effect, but in reality it's not the same thing.

It's funny you mention dialing in full up elevator for turn fights.  That's "funny", because that's basically what the auto CT will do eventually too.  You're basically just rushing to handicap yourself in the same manner as the CT would.

As speed builds, CT dials in down elevator trim to minimize your required stick inputs to maintain the dive.  Guess what it does as speed drops...

In reality, as your speed drops, your nose would feel "heavier", and start to drop.  More "back" force on the stick would be required to hold the nose up.  In its goal to minimize your work, CT dials in more and more up elevator as you slow down, until it maxes out at full up as you near stall speed.  Stall speed and full up elevator is a great way to get in trouble...  Also, if you go full down elevator at this point to reverse, dive out, or whatever, CT still has full up trim, and is effectively "fighting" you.

Especially in the last example, the CT could be seen as costing you E. The up elevator trim is a handicap at that point, whether it's from CT, or done by you on purpose.  Vertical maneuvers (especially ropes) can benefit from having CT disabled.

Another example- roll inverted, and maintain inverted flight.  You'll be forced to use LOTS of down elevator, especially as speed drops.  What does CT do to help?  It dials in UP elevator, which is exactly the "wrong" input!  Ever fly inverted during a fight?  Or at least "not level"?  Is CT helping you?

How 'bout landing?  Notice as you chop the throttle and slow down you need a fair amount of left aileron.  Why?  Not because the plane wants to roll right...  Because the CT is still trimming for the left torque of the engine, which is now gone because you've reduced throttle...

Flap use causes CT to do some odd things too.  Normally I'd expect a bit of down elevator trim as I drop a notch, CT puts in some up instead...  CT is off in my plane when the flaps get dropped.

Understanding how the CT works is a requirement to understanding how it doesn't always benefit you.  It isn't perfect, nor is it terrible.  It helps here, and hurts there.  So does Manual Trim.  Using either incorrectly is a handicap.  Failing to utilize them both is a handicap (IMO).  Simply dialing in full up for a turn fight isn't a beneficial, correct use of manual trim, at least IMO.

I use both.  I have it disabled, but have it mapped to a thumb button so that I can have it on/off when I want it.  Manually trimming turns it off as well.  I do best with it OFF by default, and have it accessible when I "ask" for it.

I use CT for ALL of my "normal" flying.  Back and forth between bases, and "easy" maneuvering and fighting.  I've developed a feel for where I'm better off with it, or without it.  When my flying begins to deviate from "normal", I turn it off.  When it returns to normal, I turn it back on.  A two-minute fight may see it on/off 10 times.  That's just how I do it...  YMMV

BTW, I don't fly 38's much, so this post is more about CT in general.  That said, the 38 is a good, if not great, plane to practice some manual trim with, due to it's low torque.

MtnMan      "

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 04:34:42 PM »

I think what I am trying to say is best described by mtnman in other thread.. If your splitting hairs override is a bad explanation of what I am trying to convey.......  I think someone with your experience already knows that.  I am trying to get people off CT and see the difference for them selfs. I said basically the same thing mtnman said mine was a bit more of a generalization.   

Ya it doesn't work that WAY... if your splitting hairs  but the effect is the same.
Override or negate flaps are bad explanations as I said, and it is not hair splitting.  It does not in any way hamper the physical effects of flaps.  The flaps work the same regardless.  What it does do is force you to push forward on your joystick to keep the nose from "ballooning".

The cons of CT being used with flaps boil down to this...
  • Less range of motion on your joystick between stick center and backstick to input max AoA.  ie. You can barely pull back on the stick before hitting the edge of controlled flight (because you're so far out of tirm).
  • Neutral pitch moves far forward of your joystick center.  ie.  You have to jamb the stick forward if the bogie stops making sustained turns.  Not a good hand/arm position to do accurate shooting from. You may even be so far out of trim, that you can't push negative G's with your joystick.

Offline FireDragon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 03:29:04 PM »
not splitting hairs...............I can accept that.. :aok    I am just trying to exspress what I think I am exsperancing.......I may be toataly ignorant how HOW something works but I would like to discuss WHAT is going on....

Let me ask the questioin myself.     

If two pilots with equal skill up a6m5...every thing is the same exsept.... one pilot leaves combat trim on. and the other manualy trims...    IN a turn fight with flaps deployed  will one plane out turn the other?

<S>

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 03:30:33 PM »
If two pilots with equal skill up a6m5...every thing is the same exsept.... one pilot leaves combat trim on. and the other manualy trims...    IN a turn fight with flaps deployed  will one plane out turn the other?

No

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 02:52:08 PM »
Perhaps not phrased so simply here:

Your elevator goes N degrees up at max deflection, your elevator with full "up" trim still only goes N degrees at full deflection + full trim.

You get no extra range of motion. It's purely an "ease of handling in this situation" type of benefit.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 08:38:16 AM »
Perhaps not phrased so simply here:

Your elevator goes N degrees up at max deflection, your elevator with full "up" trim still only goes N degrees at full deflection + full trim.

You get no extra range of motion. It's purely an "ease of handling in this situation" type of benefit.

but being as it's already up a small amount, it gives you a slightly quicker reaction to input?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 11:24:51 AM »
If you had full up elevator before even pulling back you have other problems and have probably wasted more time and effort fighting the stick up until that point than you saved by having the trim already set.

Combat trim only hurts a select few planes in this game, P-38s and Ki84s among them. For most other "turny" planes it's no detriment to turning.

IMO unless you plan to take hands off the stick and still expect to turn with an opponent, trimming full up for a turn fight is folly.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 11:47:42 AM »
but being as it's already up a small amount, it gives you a slightly quicker reaction to input?

Hardly, because if it's up at lets say normal merge speeds, you'd have to apply stick pressure before merge to keep it in level flight.

In theory, changing from pressure to pull takes longer than pulling alone.

If you're quicker than the rest, chances are, your plane can't follow your input as quickly anyways.