Author Topic: How to fire a pistol -- I lol'd  (Read 551 times)

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
Re: How to fire a pistol -- I lol'd
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 03:33:07 PM »
Looked to me like she was using a modified Weaver stance with a Homer Simpson grip style.
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
lol, looked like she hit herself in the head lol. was pretty funny though
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Druss

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 12:11:48 AM »
It was a funny clip, but I wish they hadn't put a S&W .500 magnum in what was obviously a begginers hand. That woman may not ever want to shoot a handgun again after that.

That being said:
 When I was a 17 year old smartmouth kid, I thought I had mastered the .44 magnum revolver in every way. My standard load at that time was a 240 grain Hornady hollowpoint over 22.5 grains of Hercules 2400 powder with a CCI standard Large Pistol primer. I shot that load in my S&W model 29 so much, the load details are engraved on my soul. Anyway, I was at my usual spot in a large prairie dog town with my dad when I thought it would be fun to outshoot him with his own .44 magnum. So, I grabbed his Ruger Super Blackhawk and let fly with a certain flourish, gripping his Ruger in the same fashion I gripped my S&W. At he first shot I recall a brief instant where the Ruger was coming back at my head (I always gripped my S&W high so as to minimize muzzle flip for quicker followup shots), then a burst of comets and flashes and spots of lights. I felt my knees hit the prairie and managed to blindly stick my hand in front of me to keep me from falling face first into the pincushion cactus that covered the ground. The fireworks soon stopped and I could see again. I looked at my dad and when he saw I was alright, he laughed long and hard then said "Now show me how to do that fancy shot again!". That had to have been funny, me being such an arrogant, know-it-all, smartbutt goober! My favorite all round handgun now is a Ruger Super Blackhawk with the barrel reduced to 5 inches and the Super Blackhawk grip frame replaced with regular a BlackHawk grip frame. I would and have trusted my life with this handgun.
BTW, that load I used back then is above the maximum listed for that bullet, powder, primer combination in todays loading manuals. Luckily I used (and still use) my beloved
and legendary Speer No. 8 manual. It contained "the most intrepid loads ever published" according to Handloader magazines editors. That manual has the recipe for driving a 110 grain spirepoint at over 4100 feet per second in a .300 Weatherby! ZING!! :eek:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:15:36 AM by Druss »

Offline SKYGUNS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 12:14:05 AM »
That what you get when you give an inexperienced woman a fire arm.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 12:30:05 AM »
Guys, to be fair, a .500 magnum can make a grown man cry. That's not your run-of-the-mill Dirty Harry .44 Mag. I remember the first time I fired a 454 Casull. That thing got my respect real quick, and I'm 6'3", 230. I agree with Druss. Somebody was being a complete jerk giving that cannon to a beginner.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »
druss.. glad you pointed out that the load was above max.. with some lots of 2400 it would be really really over.

Having said that.. I shot a superblackhawk for many years and did trust it with my life too.. it took horrendous punishment.. the loads I brewed up in it stretched the frame on a smith 29 so much that the cylinder would open.

now.. recoil is subjective and a matter of weight too..  I have a 12 oz .357 360pd with undercover wood grips in place of the sticky worthless rubber ones it came with...  that gun explodes in the hand more than it really recoils.   many grown men have said that they will never shoot it again.

The 500 I shot was not unpleasant.. it seems like it is about a 50 pound gun.. weighs more than a couple of my rifles.

lazs