Author Topic: AGP Video Card recommendation needed...I know, I know...get a new PC.....  (Read 534 times)

Offline 230G

• Copper Member
  O.K. here's the deal. I have an older SysteMax PC with these components:

Mini-Tower mATX Chassis w/350W PS P4M266 Motherboard   
    Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.8 GHz 533FSB w/ 512K Cache   
   1024MB DDR333 PC2700 Non-ECC Memory (512MB x 2)   
   40GB Ultra ATA (5400rpm) Hard Drive   
   GeForce FX5600-8X 128MB Video Card with TV Out  (AGP)
   300W Power supply

I've been using this PC for nigh on 4 years with no problems, and that includes no problems with AHII and Call of Duty 2. But my video began acting up, then finally the card crappped out. No big deal at the moment as I just switched to on-board video.
  I do not want to replace my PC as it works fine for what I do. So, can anyone recommend a decent, low priced AGP card? If possible, I'd like to keep using my current power supply, but would upgrade if necessary.
  I'm not a PC guru, but I understand that with some systems, the processor will be a bottleneck to a top vidoe card.

Thanks for the help!
     230G
If you approach from me from my 12:00 you will be unapologetically HO'ed.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
Re: AGP Video Card recommendation needed...I know, I know...get a new PC.....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 09:35:11 PM »
Hi 23,
I just put together a cheap game machine for a guy at work using some old scrap parts.  I used this vc on it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141075

Pretty decent for $50 and I'm getting good reports from his son who was very concerned about FR, etc.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
Hi 23,
I just put together a cheap game machine for a guy at work using some old scrap parts.  I used this vc on it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141075

Pretty decent for $50 and I'm getting good reports from his son who was very concerned about FR, etc.

That card probably won't be much better than what he already has seeing that it's a very low end budget 6800 they made and not remotely meant for any type of gaming...  He can get a 680GS for about the same price, maybe just a tad more, and get respectable performance.. 

However, if all you play is AH, you will notice a bottleneck much more since AH uses quite a bit of your CPU resources..  If you are going to upgrade you can only get some much of an improvement as far as video cards are concerned before you won't notice any difference from a 7800GS to an ATI 3850 because you'll be CPU limited..  You can try upgrading your processor..  I assume it's a Socket 478..  You can find Intel 3.2ghz processors w/1meg cache/800mhz fsb for pretty cheap...Like $30 bucks cheap...  That would help you out a little..  And another gig of RAM can't hurt..  But I'd get some faster ram (2 gigs of PC3200 is pretty cheap) and sell or toss what you have..  You can beef of that machine for pretty cheap actually..  It still won't compare to anything like a Core2Duo...But still, you'll see a performance difference...  Also, if you're going to upgrade to a better card, chances are you'll be required to upgrade your power supply first and foremost...  I'd advise going over what the minimum hardware requirements are..

I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Jag34

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:27:17 PM »
http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=851
Try out geeks.com,

I have gotten somethings from them at a very good cost.

Good Luck

Offline 230G

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 11:47:55 PM »
 Thanks for the info so far. I'm going to go ahead and order a 550W power supply first, then look further into the video card. Regarding a new processor, where have you seen the 3.2 Gig for $30? I checked Price Watch and the cheapest w/1Meg cache was over $60. I'll also check into the RAM.
  Thanks,
   230G
If you approach from me from my 12:00 you will be unapologetically HO'ed.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:54:12 PM »
I like the 7950 GT but I don't know if its availible anymore.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 12:54:06 AM »
Thanks for the info so far. I'm going to go ahead and order a 550W power supply first, then look further into the video card. Regarding a new processor, where have you seen the 3.2 Gig for $30? I checked Price Watch and the cheapest w/1Meg cache was over $60. I'll also check into the RAM.
  Thanks,
   230G
If you're going to upgrade all those 'old' parts, why not just build a new PC.  It's better to save your money now than stick $xxx into a 5+ year old PC.  I highly recommend you save your money.

On the other side, the best AGP cards for the money are:
Best AGP Card for Under $100:
Radeon HD 3650

Best AGP Card for $100:
Radeon HD 2600 XT

Best AGP Card For $135:
Radeon HD 3850 512MB

All 3 of these cards would require you to get a bigger PSU.  Even then you're going to have a CPU bottleneck.  Even the fastest Northwood P4 you can put in your PC (3 or 3.2ghz IIRC) is still going to be too slow to totally use these cards.  If you really want an upgrade...I'd shop used on ebay.  Otherwise, save your cash.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 12:56:49 AM »
Or for $40, an old Radeon X1550 that wouldn't need you to replace your PSU.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3101646&CatId=318
I lied, this requires 420W.

Radeon 9550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103162
$45
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:04:28 AM by Fulmar »
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline GrimCH

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 03:45:43 AM »
From new egg also,

BFG Tech BFGE73512GT GeForce 7300GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail $75

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143102
GR!M
(MotleyCH Tour 66 thru 100)
=S= 68KO
364th MotleyAces/CH

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
7300 = CRAP.  :furious

As far as PSUs go, for a lower end video card you don't need to upgrade the PSU. Most medium-high cards say they require 350W or more, and you already have that.

I would say the HD3650 is a good call for AGP, but if you can get your hands on one the Ge7600 (GT preferably) will more than keep you going for another 3-5 years.

Also, don't go around buying low-end, cheap, replacement parts for your CPU, your RAM, etc. You'll end up prolonging your PC life a little but you're spending money on a system that really won't get much better than what you currently have now (aside from the dead video card, I mean!)

Get the video card, but save your pennies. For $600 you can get a new PC capable of running any game today. For $800 you can get a new system capable of running any game today at 200 fps and with high res and FSAA. Save those pennies!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 06:37:40 PM »
The ATI 3850 is the best AGP card on the market and should run okay with your 550w power supply.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:20:24 PM »
I, too, am stuck in AGP land for the time being.  My CPU is a socket 478 Prescott 3.2 overclocked to 3.7 on air cooling.  My video card is a BFG 7800 GS with 256 MB of GDDR3 memory. (The card is also mildly overclocked, at 439 MHz core and 1.25 GHz memory.)  I only get dragged down into the stuttering 30-40 FPS range when I hit "shift-F4" to hunt GVs under a busy furball.  In normal air-to-air situations (including big FSO fights), my machine runs anywhere from around 60 FPS up to about 180 FPS.  YMMV

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 09:48:24 AM »
Bino I'm certain your issues are CPU limitations, not GPU. Upgrading your vid card will not help you in aces high.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »
Yup, that's my conclusion, too.   As soon as the Ministry Of Finance (  ;) ) approves the pending budget request, a new multi-core based machine will be constructed here in the Binocave.  Until then, I'll keep shoveling coal into this old thing and wrapping patches around the leaky steam pipes.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
Check out eBay for the processor....  When I was doing research while thinking about selling my old socket 478 3.2ghz Hyperthreaded, the going rate was about $30-$40..  Hell, I'll sell ya mine if ya want for $30.00 plus shipping if ya want! 
PM me and let me know...  Anyhow, as far as cards go, if you do get a little bit better of a processor, you can go with a better card seeing that there won't be as much bottlenecking..  Just as an example, I ran AH on an Intel Socket478 P4 3.2ghz Hyperthreaded w/1meg cache and 800fsb, 2 gigs of Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM, and a BFG Geforce 6800GS..  The game ran just fine at 1280X1024 w/1024 textures and 4X Antialiasing..  Game looked great and framerates never dipped below 55..  You can still squeeze a little bit more performance out of that system if you want..  I wouldn't go with new stuff because you'll be paying top dollar for it all..  Used stuff is the way to go with an older system..  Ebay, Craigslist, etc..

Thanks,
   230G
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"