Author Topic: Another tanking question  (Read 326 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Another tanking question
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »
I experimented with shooting the offline drone tanks last night, and had a couple of perplexing results on the Tiger I:

From the front, the most vulnerable part of the Tiger seems to be the main chassis.  Even with the lowly panzer, if I landed a hit there, the Tiger would explode.

The turret was more durable than the main chassis.  Hitting the turret from the front resulted in smoke rising from the target drone, but no insta-kill.

I would have thought it would be the other way around?

------------------

Now, a tactical question.  I noticed that shots landed diagonally on a tank are sometimes ineffective, i.e. the attacker sees the front and the side of the target; not a pure front shot, not a pure flank shot.  This makes sense, as 90 degrees would be the optimum penetration angle for an AP shell, and 45 degrees or less would be ineffective.

Is it tactically sound to line your tank up diagonally to an enemy, so as to present them with an unfavorable chance of hitting your armor at 90 degrees?
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
Re: Another tanking question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:31:07 PM »
If you can plan it, do it. Creating a deflection is you're best friend in a tank. I am partial to Panzers so I have found ways to protect soft spots by using mothernature and with some luck, a good parking spot.

Also I have read another post by you about tanks. I don't know what your experience level is, but can you shoot on the move with good results? Movement creates more than angles and as long as you don't give up a shot to the side you have a good survival rate.

Tanks were built for the HO.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:59:12 PM »
I'm still a n00b at tanks.  Hitting a moving target while parked is a big challenge for me, but I'm getting better.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:08:24 PM »
I'll trade you some tanker lessons for some flight lessons. I am trying to narrow down the different types of planes that I fly and I have started to become partial to the Ki-84. I'm getting good, but I need to get better.