Author Topic: Obama/McCain, Playing with your head  (Read 230 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Obama/McCain, Playing with your head
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »
Interesting article Neither pro nor con either candidate.

On how the candidates/parties use the messages they bombard us with to manipulate our identity

I'll put up the first and last paragraphs here with a link to the complete article.

As the election draws near, we are being bombarded with messages that are designed to either reinforce or blur our sense of social identity, drawing us to make alliances based on who we think we are and who we think we're not. Both Democrats and Republicans use what are called affirmational speeches and ads that reinforce our sense of identity and suggest that their candidates are ordinary people like us. For example, Governor Palin reminds us that she was a hockey mom, while Senator Obama talks about growing up in the Kansas heartland. They also remind us that we are nothing like their opposing candidate using what are termed negational messages. We are told that McCain lives an overprivileged and out-of-touch life in multiple homes, and we hear that Obama is an elitist who disrespects gun owners and religious folks.

The result of their study matches previous work that revealed negational categorization is an important component of self-identity. Therefore, Prof. Zhong recommends that we should "think carefully about the issues in this election, rather than be influenced by our perceptions of social identity because those can be easily manipulated by the media, campaign ads, and speeches."

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080918-manipulating-racial-identity-to-get-out-the-vote.html

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Re: Obama/McCain, Playing with your head
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »
Didn't read the article, but what I'm reading from the part in bold.  Sounds like good 'ol TV advertising.  TV commercials are designed to shame us into buying their product.  Ever notice how it's all about keeping up with the Jonses?  Either that, or for example we're too fat or need six pack abs.  It's all about shame in a roundabout way.

Political campaigns have always been tough.  Difference is nowadays we have TV and Internet.  News spreads so fast ... it takes time to think about what candidates stand for and against.  Folks are too busy these days to keep up with it.  At least I am.

I already know who I'm voting for.  Or should say against.  Haven't voted "for" a candidate lately.  Obama is being funded by Soros and Peters (Rebecca).  Both of those people are anti-gun big time.  That's all I need to make my decision.

Les

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »
...what was the name of that movie where the struggling ad guy goes to a looney bin for ad copy ideas?

"Sony.. because white people are too tall"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQa4HHkhwVg
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »
That was a funny video Hangtime.  However that went right over my head....zoooooommmm. <G>

Les

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:19:30 PM by Leslie »

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:30:53 PM »
That's what campaigning has become. Straight out of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.  As leslie says, Madison Ave. all the way. Hemorrhoid cream or the candidate of your choice, the buttons they push are well documented by demographic focus group and PhD level research. As noted, the motivators for the buttons they push through creative are found in Maslow's hierarchy of needs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs

Charon

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 10:36:34 PM »
Interesting article Neither pro nor con either candidate.

On how the candidates/parties use the messages they bombard us with to manipulate our identity

I'll put up the first and last paragraphs here with a link to the complete article.

As the election draws near, we are being bombarded with messages that are designed to either reinforce or blur our sense of social identity, drawing us to make alliances based on who we think we are and who we think we're not. Both Democrats and Republicans use what are called affirmational speeches and ads that reinforce our sense of identity and suggest that their candidates are ordinary people like us. For example, Governor Palin reminds us that she was a hockey mom, while Senator Obama talks about growing up in the Kansas heartland. They also remind us that we are nothing like their opposing candidate using what are termed negational messages. We are told that McCain lives an overprivileged and out-of-touch life in multiple homes, and we hear that Obama is an elitist who disrespects gun owners and religious folks.

The result of their study matches previous work that revealed negational categorization is an important component of self-identity. Therefore, Prof. Zhong recommends that we should "think carefully about the issues in this election, rather than be influenced by our perceptions of social identity because those can be easily manipulated by the media, campaign ads, and speeches."

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080918-manipulating-racial-identity-to-get-out-the-vote.html

it's called NLP.
neural linguistic programming.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 11:22:01 PM »
That was a funny video Hangtime.  However that went right over my head....zoooooommmm. <G>

Les

s' ok. My Momma used ta tell me.. 'kid, you jes ain't normal. Now, go home and tell yer real mother she loves you'.

Anyway.. gist is, they (the campaigns) have gone for a 'soundbite' audience, packaged commercial sized... Normally, nobody's attention span is trained beyond 60 seconds unless somebody's getting laid or there's stuff blowing up. How do you get the point across? They go for elemental association and memory trip wires. As exampled by the shorty I posted earlier. I remembered the gag line... couldn't remember the movie. The campaigns are working overtime now on the same level...

..tryin to rent some semi-permanent space in yer head; dude. ;)

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.