Author Topic: Back to the drawing board on GV ID Tags.  (Read 815 times)

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
Re: Back to the drawing board on GV ID Tags.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 04:32:58 PM »
LOL

ya.  When you know the GV is under the tree.  Bomb that tree.

I mentioned a similar idea.  I like the idea of the icon going away at a given altitude.  That way you could team it.  The higher guy and tell you generally  about where it is yet when you are low you may have to hunt him down.  At the same time giving the gv a half chance at hiding.  This would also help the gv land his kills.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »

What would yours be I came up with about 5 or 6 here.

As I say, the "problem", if you want to call it that, is that there are more people in planes, and who like to bomb GVs in planes, than are on the ground.

I don't see a P-47 dive-bombing a tank as a problem either...I see it as accurate. I agree that tree-top Lanc formations for taking out GVs are lame. One might consider fixing level bombers to where they can not drop their bombs below a certain altitude, say 10K AGL.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »
I usually see their dots before the tags. The only thing I need the tags for is for identification.... and it's kinda tough to know otherwise.

This is usually how I find them.  I try to stay outside of Wirbel's effective range while finding and lining up ground vehicle targets.  The tags only provide ID upon closer inspection, but by that time I am already committed to an attack.  So the icons visible or not will not change my ability to attack GV's.  I no to this wish.

<Salute>
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »
Exactly.  My point.  You dont need the icons to hit the GV once the here I am come get me tag points it out for you.  Thanks for the support.

If you didnt have the tags pointing them out a guy in the GV would have a chance to hide.  With a P47 dive bombing a GV there is no fight.  Its game over.  Except for maybe the best Gvrs out there.

Like I stated before, how many ways do you need to find a GV?  Would simply getting rid of the Icon ruin the AH world?

You'd still have...

GV movement of the "dot"
Tracer Fire
Sound of GVs engine as he is trying to hide.
etc

But if you need the icon too I guess you have to have the crutch.  So I tried.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »
How about intelligent enemy GV tags?

IE: A whirly in the middle of a forest, hugging a tree, engine off, and holding fire (meaning if he wanted to he could start shooting at planes that are close enough overhead).  His tag will be hidden unless your really really close (enough to visualy see the difference between his vehicle and the tree he's hugging and say another tree with a large stump under it).  Now lets say he starts firing, now his tag is visible for at least 3000 meters.  Logicaly this makes sence, a GV shooting up into the air with tracers on sticks out like a sore thumb from over a mile away. 

This would be beneficial in that people could hide in their GV if they wanted to stay on the down-low and play an intelligent sortie.  This would also make it so if they weren't trying to stay on the down-low, they would stick out from as far away as they should.

As for tanks (the example I gave was an AA GV) they dont shoot straight up in the air with a MG most of the time, but when they do fire their main gun it creates a large muzzle flash and a large amount of smoke and/or dust imediatley around the tank... so the intelligent tags would work for them in the same way too.

There are some downsides to this I see, one being that lets say your trying to stay on the down-low from circling aircraft, but then a lone tank sees you and starts firing at you.  You return fire to the one target that sees you, but now your clearly visible to everyone circling above that didn't know you were there.  It's true someone did blow your cover, but until you decide to shoot back he's the only one that clearly sees you (and once you shoot back, everyone within range will be able to see you, weather or not they were actualy out there looking for you or not).

But I think it would work well since in most cases when you're not looking to pick a fight you probably won't win you'll be doing so in a lower profile.  And if you go charging in with guns a-blazing looking to stir up some trouble, then you'll do so quite well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:20:01 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 12:05:48 PM »
I notice the OP included the word 'score' in his post which implies where his head is at.

Ignore feature please.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »
.  I'll support the idea just as soon as HTC makes it so that GVs don't spawn in the exact same place everytime.  I see no reason to make spawn camping even easier then it is already.

LMAO you should have been here when it actually was the exact same place. Now you have an area where the spawn happens. If that should be expanded or not is a good discussion.
See Rule #4

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 03:13:29 AM »
I usually see their dots before the tags. The only thing I need the tags for is for identification.... and it's kinda tough to know otherwise.

Actually, yeah, thats what gives it away for me too. I see the dot, I go closer and investigate, then I can make out the sillouette, THEN I get a tag.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 05:22:29 AM »
I'm not sure, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read that 1K in the game is 3,000 feet.  My solution to the GV issue would be code it so the eny could not see your icon more than .5K  that would be 1,500 feet.  My real wish would be .3K.  Planes only of course.

Fred's Opinion

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »
Actually, yeah, thats what gives it away for me too. I see the dot, I go closer and investigate, then I can make out the sillouette, THEN I get a tag.

yeah same here, the icon just tells me: 1. its a wirble - do some pilot stuff to avoid the hail of cannon 2. its an M3, M8 or Jeep - just use .50cal or 3. its a Tiger - dont waste ords on it.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
   There isnt enough definition in here to play without tags. Personally if I flew to a battle in an IL2 and couldnt see the tanks until I was right up on them, and constantly die to a whirb's guns at close range, the only alternative would be to grab a set of lancs and carpet the area. I think in the long run, that would be worse.

~AoM~