Author Topic: Would you welcome an RPG aspect to this game?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
Re: Would you welcome an RPG aspect to this game?
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2008, 03:12:02 AM »

Toss out all that other garbage, give us a "virtual" G.I.Canteen for our
               "created" flyboys, we'll call it an RPG.
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
A solution looking for a problem?

Too kind Moot.

Fast Food Generation whining.

Remember the real Aces High game is played between the ears. It's not Hitech's job to take the place of the brain.

Role playing is like Science Fiction conventions. Ever see anyone show up not as the uber doober hero of the galaxy?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Too kind Moot.

"Too kind"? Exactly what about this subject deserves anything less than civil discussion? What, did you get stomped on by an RPG nerd once and now want bad boy forum revenge?

Not one person in this thread, including myself, has taken up the opinion that a full transition to RPG wizardry would be a good thing for AH. So who, exactly, are you so angry at? Troll on WoW forums if you have such deep issues.

And regarding your assumption about character types:
You'd actually be surprised how many people are willing to role play in less desirable roles. I played a RPG once for a few months, got out of it because I couldn't stand the community of teens and RPGish-ness, but nonetheless saw very many people who built up trader/support role characters, rather than the fighter/hero type.

We have this altruistic type in AH currently. You know the guys...they are always willing to run a goon, run supplies, or go pork ords.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »
I think he meant (like I did) to say that complaining that AH is a hamster wheel is very exagerated.  And RPG probably wouldn't work in the MA. It's way too easy to abuse score unless there's enough framework like CT is supposed to have.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2008, 11:50:48 PM »
What game is not a hamster wheel? What game has real accomplishments, victories, and defeats? What game is anything but a break from the day to day grind? If you can't have fun playing a game, the problem isn't necessarily the game.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2008, 12:23:38 AM »
What game is not a hamster wheel? What game has real accomplishments, victories, and defeats? What game is anything but a break from the day to day grind? If you can't have fun playing a game, the problem isn't necessarily the game.

I think the point of the hamster wheel metaphor is to highlight the lack of a goal or aim-point in the game.  Sure, every game is a hamster wheel in a very broad sense, but games which have a specific end point and goal don't fit the metaphor in the narrow way that AH does.

One of the appealing things about AH is that you can jump into the arena and do pretty much anything, and it's nearly impossible to negatively impact your team.  Don't feel like being a team player?  Not a problem.

But, yeah, sometimes it feels like a hamster wheel. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!