Author Topic: Dare I say... "looking for info on the French army?"  (Read 500 times)

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Dare I say... "looking for info on the French army?"
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:05:41 PM »
Been looking for the account of soldiers of the French army who were somehow trapped (snowed in, I assume) in a mountain range (not sure which one).

The French wired to Alaska to ask for help from a dog-sledder of notoriety to come over in the fastest manner possible to show them how to travel using dogs to get to their men. 

Was a success; he brought dogs & drove them in to get to the trapped soldiers.  I thought there was supposed to be an account of that in "The Cruelest Miles," but after having read it several times, still didn't see it. That mini-reference would have given names, dates, something better to look up to get a full account elsewhere...

Anyhow, with all of you who are well read, thought maybe one of you (*cough* Straffo) would have maybe heard about it. 

I'm assuming this event would have taken place in maybe the 1920s or more likely the 1930s.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: Dare I say... "looking for info on the French army?"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »
World War I
During this war, the French desperately needed a way to get relief supplies to their troops. Famed dog driver & racer, "Scotty" Allan, already consulted by Arctic explorers Roald Amundsen and Vihjalmur Stefansson and others, was sought out by the French government to supply dogs and sleds and to train soldiers in dog driving. After secretly transporting dogs from Alaska to Quebec by rail, he acquired additional dogs. The problem was to get the dogs across the Atlantic without tipping off German submarines of their cargo. They didn't want the dogs on deck because their noise would alert enemy subs. "Scotty" Allan trained the dogs not to sing or bark during the 2 week passage, and they were housed in shipping crates chained to the deck.
Once in France, Allan trained 50 Chasserus Alpins (French mountain soldiers) to drive the dogs. The men had to overcome the language barrier and learn to give the dogs English commands. Less than 2 months after leaving Nome, dog teams with French drivers were hauling supplies and ammunition to areas that previously could not be reached. One group of these dogs delivered 90 tons of ammunition to an artillery battery in only 4 days, where it had taken up to 2 weeks for a combination of men, horses & mules to accomplish the same thing. On another mission, dogs assisted in laying over 18 miles of field telephone wire in one night, allowing a totally isolated unit to communicate with headquarters again.
When the snows melted, dogs were hitched to narrow gauge railway cars so they could continue to transport supplies and munitions.
Three Alaskan sled dogs in French service were awarded the Croix de Guerre, one of France's highest military honors, for their actions in combat. All of the dogs who worked with the Chasseurs Alpins were rewarded with a life of leisure for their heroic service to their adopted country.
The British Army (international force in northern Russia & Siberia) used Canadian dog teams with Canadiean soldier-drivers. The dogs were "usefully employed in drawing stretchers with wounded from the firing line."
The U.S. Army made no use of sled dogs during this war. They did maintain sled dogs in Alaska during and after this war as it had be proved that in Alaska's winter, dog teams were the only dependable transportation.

adapted from Soldiers & Sled Dogs by Charles L. Dean

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here it is any way.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »
That's it! *smile*

I think I even have that book! Crap! Thank you so much! *smile*
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:39:33 AM »
that's not fair !

At the time you posted your answer it was  3AM here :D

And no I never heard of this story :)

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 04:48:24 AM »
It's a known fact that the history of this event has been seriously altered to make the French soldiers appear to be more competent than they really are.

It wasn't that they were "caught" in any kind of a "snow storm". The fact was that one of the soldiers actually got his hand stuck in a refrigerated soda vending machine. :rolleyes:

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
Vilhjálmur Stefánsson....an Icelander :D
(And we have completely no tradition for dog-sledding)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:42:27 AM »
...The fact was that one of the soldiers actually got his hand stuck in a refrigerated soda vending machine. :rolleyes:
That sounds more similar to the origin of the jokes.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:35:38 AM »
World War I
adapted from Soldiers & Sled Dogs by Charles L. Dean

*smile* Thanks again. I'm a dummy. I was looking in the wrong dog book. No wonder it wasn't in there! I'm sorry for being a dork. Thanks again. =)
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:57:12 AM »
Nice pull SPK.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"