Author Topic: Amount of bullets it takes  (Read 759 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Amount of bullets it takes
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:02:40 PM »
I was wondering what was the amount of bullets it takes to knock a wing off a plane. I realize a 37mm and 40 are 1 and the plane usually explodes for some reason. The 30mm might take 2 or 3 and the 20's take about 6-8? Some planes are harder to shoot down like the sturdy P47, f6,f4f, ki-84 and bombers but sometimes it seems it takes only one well placed round to take a part off.

With smaller caliber weapons range and convergence has a lot to do with it of course. In WWll was there a set convergence used or was it the pilot's preference.

I just learned that the Ki-61 canons are cowl mounted. I set the cannon (which I thought was MG) to 200 and the MG at 300. It seems to hit like a laser and only took 4 cannon rounds and a small amount of MG to take out a 38 and spit wing while dueling in the DA. I rarely fly the 61 and was amazed by the power it had in it's guns. The sprites were very concentrated in that 1/2 second pull and I have no film.

I've made some bullet hit sounds and shortened them which i really like because I can hear more of the hits as they come in, especially the 50's. With the longer hit sounds it seemed not to take much to put me down and now I hear them all. It doesn't keep me in the air any longer but it does sound better now.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Re: Amount of bullets it takes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 03:03:47 PM »
I know you can take down a bomber with 1 well placed 37mm shot. (engine)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »
Depends sometimes.  Last night in the MW arena, I was down to less than 300 rounds of .50s and managed to bag 3 kills as I fought my way home, think I ended up landing with around 80 rounds.  Some other times I've put countless of rounds into planes and nothing.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:19:05 PM »
I was under the impression that it's more in the placement of shots and calibre of round rather than the amount.  You can pump Hispano's into the side of a Lanc and do minimal damage where as a few to the wing roots will rip it clean off.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
Most of the time 1 30mm will take out a plane.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 09:27:36 PM »

Yup, unless the engine soaks up the round, it's usually a 1 hit kill.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:04:49 PM »
Once took down a la7 with just one 20mm cannon round. Took his wing right off. Only had 7 rounds left when I fired. A wingie once only had one round left and killed a plane with a 20 mm round.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 11:39:58 PM »
In the case of machine guns it's going to depend on:

Type of plane
Range
Convergence
Where you're hitting
Luck

Against Spitfires and other lightly-built targets (A6Ms especially) I can knock a wing off with a half-second burst if I hit him square in and in convergence with 6x.50cal. One time I had maybe 10 rounds left in each gun in an F4U-1A and got hold of a Spixteen just enough to pop his wing off.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 12:30:32 AM »
B24s light up like like candles, 17s live up to their names.   Jugs do well except for the glaring and retarded GAME aspect of "main fuel" which lowers them to the vulnerability level of the Zero...

A zero ON FIRE will last longer than a p47 with a "main fuel" leak.  In real live of course the Jug had EXTREMELY resilient self sealing fuel tanks, but in AH it will bleed dry from a fuel hit from a single ping of low caliber MG in less than a minute.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 01:00:13 AM »
B24s light up like like candles, 17s live up to their names.   Jugs do well except for the glaring and retarded GAME aspect of "main fuel" which lowers them to the vulnerability level of the Zero...

A zero ON FIRE will last longer than a p47 with a "main fuel" leak.  In real live of course the Jug had EXTREMELY resilient self sealing fuel tanks, but in AH it will bleed dry from a fuel hit from a single ping of low caliber MG in less than a minute.

A jug can take more hits in the fuel tank than a zero can. just because it has self sealing fuel tanks, doesn't mean it couldn't get a fuel leak.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 11:57:17 AM »
right it has self sealing tanks, and granted, even then it could leak from multiple hits for sure, I have no gripe with that.  what irks me is you have 50% fuel left, and a single ping takes out the main fuel and you bleed dry in 30 seconds..   and I dont buy into "well you probably took a lot of hits before you started to leak"  no no, first hit on an otherwise new plane..  and your leaking.

example:  I dove on a wirble, he ping me ONE time and took out my rudder..  so I started to rtb..  a 51 dives in for the obligatory pick shot as im rtb, I hear 1 hit, and my main fuel is leaking, and im dry half a minute later.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 12:02:22 PM »

I put a 30mm on a Spit9 today and it suffered no damage whatsoever.  See my film in the Mk 108 thread.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »
It doesnt matter what the caliber is if you hit the pilot in the head it only takes one hit.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.