Author Topic: Lowering the Price?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
Re: Lowering the Price?
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 09:34:46 PM »
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
It's $179.40 a year. It used to be a bargain, although lately, I'm not entirely sure. Not steep compared to an internet connection, nor hardware, displays, controllers, etc.

Oh piss off, it's way more if you have to add a weak currency to the mix.  :lol  :aok

I'm paying $20 a month, so that's $240 a year!

No complaints here.  :aok

If you can't afford $20 a month.... you have bigger problems than the cost of AH.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »
The price for any commodity is set by what different people are willing to pay, what community the seller wishes to support, and what competition exists.  In the beginning Air Warrior on GEnie was $6 per non-prime time hour to play.  For me there was an additional $6/hr for long distance charges.  People routinely built up $200 to $500 per month bills. Obviously at that rate the community was small.  Warbirds had a somewhat lower price and gathered a bigger community.  AH started at $30/month.  It then fell to $15/month when, presumably, HTC either figured they would make more money serving a bigger community or they just wanted to make the same money and serve more people.  Whatever the reason, HTC has already figured out what the proper price for AH is, given their goals.

The third factor is competition.  Boxed games that don't have a massively multiplayer online component are not competition for AH.  The fact that you are flying against real people instead of AI is almost the entire value of AH.  So the only competition is Warbirds and WWII Online (do those still exist?) or the online part of IL2.  (Correct me if I am wrong, but IL2 is not massively multiplayer?)

Now what are they likely to do in the future?  Well, despite inflation they haven't upped the price in a very long time.  On the other hand, the economy is tanking big time and an increase in price could decrease players as people look to cut non-essential outlays.  If I had to guess, I'd say they would probably keep the price the same, but increase the rate of updates of AH as they have put CT on the back burner.

Offline GGhost

• Copper Member
      • 79TH FIGHTER GROUP - FALCONS
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »
Here is the break down.

HTC monthly fee break down

14.99 x 12 months = $179.88 a year (365 a day plan)

365 divided by 1499 = 0.41068493 cents

0.41068493 x 365 = $14.989999 for a year (365 day plan)

Here is it on a 30 day plan - $14.99 divided by 30 day plan = 0.4996666 cents a day (30 day plan)

We are getting a deal.

0.4996666 x 365 = $182.3783 dollars total for a year. (30 day plan)

Not bad cost.

Less then a 12 oz can of soda pop.

Soda pop 12oz can = 0.65 to 0.75 cents average.

0.65 cents x 30 day average = $19.50

$19.50 x 12 = $234.00 for a year. (30 day plan).

0.65 x 365 = $237.25 total for a year (365 day plan).

Now if you live outside the U.S. ...Well that's another addition you will need to add in the figures.

Thanks HTC for AH II.

<S> GGhost
Currently not flying

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »
0.41068493 x 365 = $14.989999 for a year (365 day plan)

Hoping that's a misplaced decimal.

In any case...I'd be very willing to pay if I didn't have to cancel my account every time I thought I might be short that month. :p
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2008, 06:40:41 PM »
It's $14.95 a month (US, outside of TX), $179.40 annually, which makes it $0.49 daily. That's not a misplaced decimal; he just broke it down incorrectly.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »
 Dang, I spend more on coffee in a week than I do for this game.

Starbucks anyone???

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »
A lot of people (especially around here) spend more on coffee than most things. Pretty sad, really. But, that's another thread.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2008, 08:38:04 PM »
After reading the Aces High Forums for a little over a year, I though there couldn't be anything else posted that would surprise me.  Then I ran across this thread.  I just have to sit back and scratch my head in disbelief. 

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but folks we are talking about $15.00 a month.  You have the 200 soap opera, little generals yelling orders, old vets complaining, new guys complaining, people calling each other names, fights on the BBS, egos that never stop, whining, laughing, excitement, boredom, missions, dog fights, GV fights, political discussions, homophobics, the "I'm smarter than you attitude", the "Your not smarter than me attitude", lets DA, lets not DA, your a coward, dweeb, squeaker, you pick, HO, ram, and my favorite, you announce that your coming to fight when you 15,000 feet and already have broken the dar bar. 

Folks you get all this for $15.00 a month.  You don't feel like your getting a deal.  Hell, I would pay a $100 a month for all this entertainment.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
A lot of people (especially around here) spend more on coffee than most things. Pretty sad, really. But, that's another thread.

How so?   I've worked hard all my life and now I dont have to,I guess the point was that at 15 bucks a month this is relatively a cheap luxury.
As someone has said if you cant afford that,you have more problems than worring about the cost of a game.

BTW I spend way more on my wife than I do on coffee... :devil

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2008, 04:13:17 AM »
My first bill on MacAW was $189 for the first month.. And I got one kill, (he was AFK).

Enuf said!

:salute
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »
You have forgotten to add that that Total Rev amount includes paying the salaries of at least 7 people in Grapevine my little brother...
they only make about $215K which is a lot of money, but when they spend so much of it on the game and modeling, I'm not sure how much they have left.

HTC isn't living in mansions and driving Ferrari's keep in mind.  They love the game, maybe they even love us a little for sharing that love.  They come to work everyday and do the best they can to improve a game that we all love!!! 

AND.......  With all the commercials lately, they probably all took a small pay cut to do it. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.