Author Topic: Pony vs Cobra  (Read 770 times)

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
Pony vs Cobra
« on: November 27, 2008, 05:06:50 AM »
Since there are none P-39 clips posted here yet, here is one of me in the P-39Q vs Malibu in the P-51D. Starting from roughly equal E states, both planes are pushed to the limits (and beyond  :D ) with the advantage constantly shifting between us.

http://download.hp-parrots.de/39vs51.ahf

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Pony vs Cobra
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
Too bad "cmustard" in the 109 jumped in near the end.

Flying in the 39 pretty much requires you to have good awareness of your plane and your opponent's, due to the craptastic views.  however, at lower alts, just like they said way back when, the 39 is pretty nice.

Here's my p-39q vs a 109k (scotch)....

http://www.speedyshare.com/858764550.html

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline jaygongin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 06:00:54 PM »
the cobra is one of the most balanced planes in WWII.  their pilots loved them.  as for views i like them. i can at least get a look at my tail looking straight back which most of the other planes lack.  needs more ammo though.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 06:44:36 PM »
I don't fly the Q, but I fly the D every once and a wile. Its not much of a plane to get into a stall fight with, it has a very nasty stall if you are not careful. At high speed though, I believe its the best turners in the game. the tater is nice, as long as you can hit with it. I don't realy know what it can out turn, probably an A8, or the 190 series, but I knwo it cann out even come close to out turning the spits or the F4Us. It would be the same with the KI's as well.
<S>
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 12:33:14 AM »
That was a fun fight. Difficult on the k4's end
-AoM-

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:07:18 AM »
That was a fun fight. Difficult on the k4's end

yeah you made it harder for yourself by sticking around to finish it in a twisty style.  you could easily have extended or climbed out, so kudos for sticking around to make me put that cobra thru the wringer as i was still learning it.   :aok  you handled the 109k's speed very well and we both came away with a pretty good fight - others could benefit by doing that themselves (in whatever), if only to learn more about the ragged edges of the envelopes.

it was one of the few aircobra films i have.  need to make some more. <i so love the new film-naming ability, makes this crap easier.>
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:11:35 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »
Here's my view of the same fight:

http://www.speedyshare.com/372436133.html

Yes, anyone going for the easy win in the k4 would've extended and reset the fight right away. It's more challenging to see who can hold onto the edge though. I like the one point where I go vertical down to about 19mph with you right on my tail, and we both stall out. The shot I took on the recovery there was one of the few chances I had to end the fight! Too bad I missed! lol
-AoM-

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 06:52:13 PM »
TY shane and scotch for posting films.  :aok
See Rule #4