Author Topic: Film: I know I messed up -- but not sure exactly how  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: Film: I know I messed up -- but not sure exactly how
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
Hehe - well truth be known it's all about getting inside your opponents OODA loop.  What's that?  Observe, orient, decide, act.

(Image removed from quote.)

It's Col John Boyd's essence of agility whether it be dogfighting or other activity.  The orientation component of the OODA loop is really important.  That's where all the processing occurs in developing a decision.  This is where speed counts the most, specifically re-orienting as new observations come in.

(Image removed from quote.) 

In essence your brain needs to be that Cray :D.

Instead of the long reply I could have just said "don't reverse until you have enough separation and when you do maximize your turn performance" but IMHO that's not enough information to help folks develop their "orientation" component of the OODA loop.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs

Only takes a Cray when you're learning it. Once  you understand the concepts and try them a couple times, it becomes more like <cue Vader voice> "...I have you now..."

I've loved the ramifications of the OODA loop ever since I first read about it, in the biography Boyd. Even used the ideas in teaching stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with ACM...it's essentially a universal concept, can apply to anything from ground combat (Did you know Boyd is the only USAF serviceman with a portrait in USMC headquarters? His ideas were foundation for current tactical doctrines.) to plain old business planning.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad