Author Topic: AWACS Birds are gone from Griffiss  (Read 491 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
AWACS Birds are gone from Griffiss
« on: December 04, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »
Don't know why, many are lobbying to get them back. They must have been here for training or something...Griffiss has the largest runway in the Northeast.

I saw the planes lumbering around for a while, then they disappeared. After, I heard they left the base. Wondered if any inside sources knew why...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
Re: AWACS Birds are gone from Griffiss
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 07:35:59 PM »

:noid

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
They were there for training missions but the training didn't turnout out as good as they hoped.
http://nosint.blogspot.com/2008/11/awacs-at-griffiss-called-not-cost.html

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
I still miss the B-52s. Nothing like watching a coffee cup dance across the tabletop at breakfast.  :rock
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 05:19:52 AM »
They are just migrating for the winter :D

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 05:51:04 AM »
They were there for training missions but the training didn't turnout out as good as they hoped.
http://nosint.blogspot.com/2008/11/awacs-at-griffiss-called-not-cost.html
Seems like a BS article from my POV, but that may just be me.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
I still miss the B-52s. Nothing like watching a coffee cup dance across the tabletop at breakfast.  :rock

You musta been pretty close to the RW...betcha the KC135's shook your coffee cup also :)  I was stationed at Griffiss AFB ( 4039 Strat. Wing) from `59-`62...assigned to the KC 135.  Was an eye opening sight sitting in the "jump seat" and watching the end of the RW fast approaching..especially in the Summer months.  If I remember correctly the RW was 11,800' with a 200' over-run. When we were at gross (300K)T.O weight, it really didn't want to leave the RW. and that was with pumping 670 gals. of water thru the engines....ahhhh, the good `o` days. :)
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 03:19:04 PM »
Dang, strange to see some guys on here that were so close to home. My grandpa flew C141's and was stationed at Griffiss for a long while around the late 70s (I think).

My dad said he used to lay in the grass off the runway in Floyd by his house, watching the big C5's fly over.

FlyKommando.com

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »
Actually my grandparents were right under the landing circuit a few miles out, along route 291 in Marcy. The Buffs used to come in so low that you could look up and see the insides of the gear wells clearly, even count the spokes on the wheels.

i've yet to find another aircraft thats as loud as the '52s, they used to set off the perimeter alarms at the prisons, which are also right under the circuit.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 03:54:41 PM »
Actually my grandparents were right under the landing circuit a few miles out, along route 291 in Marcy. The Buffs used to come in so low that you could look up and see the insides of the gear wells clearly, even count the spokes on the wheels.

i've yet to find another aircraft thats as loud as the '52s, they used to set off the perimeter alarms at the prisons, which are also right under the circuit.

The early KC 135's (A) were a very close 2nd. Much more quiet after they were upgraded to the TF33-PW-102.  :D
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"