Author Topic: Hell explained by a chemisty student  (Read 540 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Hell explained by a chemisty student
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:00:45 AM »

HELL EXPLAINED BY CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on University of Washington chemistry mid term.
The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?
Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

Tee hee :)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: Hell explained by a chemisty student
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 05:22:41 AM »
Hahahahahahahah.

I bet his teacher loved that. Imagine sitting through a pile of boring essays full of the same crap to come to that half way through the pile?

He must have laughed his balls off.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:43:52 AM »
Old, but good.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:30:10 AM »
 :rofl
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:42:23 PM »
Old, but good.
yep, I'll bet the guy that originally wrote that has got be at least 80 by now, but still funny now as it was 100 years ago.    :lol   thank god for the internet though....

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:42:28 PM »
And once Teresa found out what he wrote in his paper he probably hoped the ground would open..
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »
And once Teresa found out what he wrote in his paper he probably hoped the ground would open..

Yeah, cause all hell would break loose. ;)

That's great... Creative. :)
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »
That created a chuckle in my day.  Thanks!   :aok
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »
Well, no bad but he almost got it right  :D  Hell is not extinct, it's just frozen over, but you still burn in hell due to freezer burns.:devil
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:01:49 PM »
Hilarious! :lol
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:23:30 AM »
Hell is man-made.

It is what you make it..or it is what someone else makes it for you.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**