Author Topic: My brief formation flying tutorial for AH  (Read 734 times)

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
My brief formation flying tutorial for AH
« on: December 28, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »
Not to sound like I'm Captain Awesome of the S.S. Badass - but I get a lot of compliments on my formation flying ability - and I always thank them and say that anyone can do it, and all it takes is practice and concentration - but you've really gotta practice, all the time.

I seems like it's a rather elusive art that many don't seem to practice - most are probably content with just being able to stay in a general area in relation to their lead, and that's perfectly fine - not saying that if you don't fly formation that you suck :rofl   

It really makes the time fly while enroute to target when you're concentrating on staying tucked in position.  Granted it's very challenging but very rewarding at the same time, and it looks really slick.

I always fly at my leads 2:30 to 3 o'clock position (on my screen), because the latency/"position bug" in AH makes me appear further back on his (and everyone else's) screen than I really am - this issue with position is also why your bandit sometimes gets that "impossible" shot, and you think "but he didn't have his nose on me!" - on his screen he did!

So it seems that if I fly that position, it looks right to everyone else.  Granted it's more challenging to stay tight when you're line-abreast, but I've gotten used to it.

Obviously small control inputs are key, if you get into pilot induced oscillations, just ease away, arrest the movement and try again.  I use rudder to control my lateral seperation from lead, try to minimize any wing mismatch.  I'm also constantly working the throttle to maintain exact position - asking for a manifold check from the lead and then setting yours there will not keep you perfectly in position, you'll eventually drift -although that works quite well for combat spread formations,  you'll still have to make slight power corrections every minute or so. 

If you're on the outside of the turn, you'll need to add a moderate amount of power to stay in position because you have a longer distance to travel (think about running around a racetrack, inside vs. outside lane and why they're staggered).  If you're on the inside you'll need to pitch down a bit, roll and reduce power to stay with the lead, using the rudder to correct for any drift toward or away from him.

For the flight leads, it seems to be a relatively common habit to stay full power the the majority of the flight - remember that your flight needs some excess power available over your setting in order to maintain position when maneuvering.  So ease the power back to about 80-85%. 

For the wingmen - if you're looking to get better at formation flying, let the lead go autoclimb, and fly manually - everyone going autoclimb often results in flights getting quite spread out over time.  I always fly off of the lead, my eyes are on him 90% of the time, at the same time glancing around for bandits. 

So get out there and practice and don't get discouraged, it'll take time to become proficient, but once you get it, it becomes second nature and you'll have a hard time getting out of formation :lol

Here's a video put together with some formation flying - it should be some motivation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4O3UIB0gw
(I'm flying too low in some of the maneuvers, but you get the idea)

:salute

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:48:01 PM by Cobra516 »
Slipping the surly bonds.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC

Offline SouthLanda

• Zinc Member
Re: My brief formation flying tutorial for AH
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »
Cobra, I love that video.

One of my favourite activities in AH is to just buzz around in formation.
Game ID: SthLanda

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »
Thanks man,  yea it's fun isn't it?  I really get a kick out of it.   I wish AH didn't suffer from that position bug, would be nice to get a 4 ship demo team together - but unfortunately the positioning just won't look right with 4.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »
I was introduced to formation flying by the men in Righteous Vengeance. At first I had some trouble with it and about the same time we'd be getting to targe t was about the same time I'd finally begin to start getting it. Cobra is right when he says it does give you something to do to break up the boredom when flying a longer mission.

Although there are many reasons i joined RV, this is one of their activities that I've found very to be very enjoyable especially when coupled with a fighter jabo sweep to shut down your base.

SALUTE   

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »
Thanks Tool, yeah the RV guys are a great bunch, I really enjoy flying with 'em.  I didn't know you were RV?  Did you just join? 

"Ray" #3 Right Wing

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »
I'm like you in that I enjoy flying tight formation during missions, and have done so in my squad.  However, the problem is, unless you're on a mission during your squad night, and your squadron commander cares, it's rare that many people even fly truly 'together' let alone fly in formation.  In the MA's that is.
If you want to develop formation flying, then the FSO's and Scenarios are the place to be.  Again, some squads care more than others, but there's a consistant effort to stay on mission, and with shorter icon distances (and threat recognition), you've got to stay closer together in transit.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 10:06:39 AM »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »
Thanks Tool, yeah the RV guys are a great bunch, I really enjoy flying with 'em.  I didn't know you were RV?  Did you just join? 

Yes, After 3 months of searching I finally found what I was looking for. I flew with many squads of which I enjoyed immensely but shy'd away from joining as I was unsure I'd be staying local opposed to being over the road. Joining a squad then deleting my acct.  because of a time constraint shortly after was not what I wanted to do.

RV turned out to be a close knit, do it all type squad that I've really enjoyed flying with.

Their strong points would be:
Formation flying, Phenomenal jabo fighter type runs, well organized fighter sweeps that produce results, excellent communication skills, willingness to stick to a plan, always on the look out for trouble across the map, able to scramble quickly to defend pretty much anywhere across the map, always willing to help anyone take a base if not taking one themselves,  scoring is not a major concern with them and generally every member is a fun loving, respectful mature adult.

Some of the other squads i flew with are

VFA-169 Excalibur's An excellent squad with many quality members

The highly respected AK's of whom I've always wanted to be part of. I enjoyed their team work and dedication finding it very appealing that they switch sides monthly.

Pig on the Wing which are a great group of guys dedicated to having fun more than anything else. What a blast is is flying with them.

The Birds of Prey who are a very large squad but being so are normally scattered all across the map. I felt I needed a smaller, more tight knit squad to fly with and appreciate their welcome greatly.

Rolling Thunder, another very large squad interested in taking bases but was turned off by their out look on how exactly they take them. No offense at all RT but again I was looking for a much tighter squad that looks for more of a challenge and sticks to their commitments. Jumping from one undefended base to another to take control of the map was just not for me.

I spent time with quite a few others but in the end RV was for me.

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 04:08:46 PM »
Well welcome to RV sir!  I know you fly with us a lot - good to see you're a member  :salute  I'm like you in that I was also looking for a tighter knit group to fly with, so far it's been a blast.   

Shuffler, that's a great pic!  Nice flying
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 04:12:06 PM by Cobra516 »

"Ray" #3 Right Wing

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:57:37 PM »
The 80th and SAPP fly formations quite often. We are B-38 dweebs so if we don't stay tight we get lost.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 07:09:34 PM »
The 80th and SAPP fly formations quite often. We are B-38 dweebs so if we don't stay tight we get lost.

Don't 38s have a hampster in a wheel for a compass?
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 07:32:58 PM »
:rofl Yeah that's what keeps those gyro's spun up!   I'm starting to fly the '38 more and more, it's a nice machine - I usually fly the '51.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 05:06:44 AM »
Excellent film Cobra, I really enjoyed it :aok
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »

Actually in AH 1 the compass was hamster powered. Now all compasses are blender powered which explains us getting lost alot.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Me..i remember that night...i do believe that is MstWntd and I in the Silver/Blue 38s
Tours 86 - 296