Author Topic: Anyone play Axis and Allies the board game?  (Read 351 times)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Anyone play Axis and Allies the board game?
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:28:49 AM »
My favorite board game of all time, hands down.  I brought out the game from a closet when my roomate noticed it and asked about it.  I warned that it was a very addictive and competitive game that would easily last 4 or 5 hours.  We set it up and I went about explaining the game mechanics and some basic strategies for each country.

During our first game our other friends were stopping by the house as usual and all became very interested in playing in the next game.

This was about 2 weeks ago.  I can only think of a couple nights since then that someone hasn't had the game out!  We even found a great freeware game that includes a lot of the many editions and house rule options at http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki

I've been trying out the revised version of the board game on the computer.  I'm considering picking up the board game version to be able to play with my friends and not need the computer.  We'll see since it's $45 new.

If anyone has downloaded TripleA, I'd love to get a game over the internet in. 

Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Anyone play Axis and Allies the board game?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:35:09 AM »
I have Axis & Allies D-Day.  It's a lot of fun, but I rarely have anyone to play it with.  My son is 8 months old now, maybe in a few more years. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »
My sister had the board game version, I don't think we ever finished the game completly since it takes so long to play but it is very addictive...

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
My all time favorite board game also. I never could get anyone to play it with me though. My brother in law and I would have games last two or three days. He moved away, and I couldn't find anyone else to play it that long with me. :frown:
Lighten up Francis

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:43:36 AM »
Looks like a fun game, never played it before, which is unfortunate as the game I d/l'ed doesn't come with a rules book or anything so I have no idea how to play. :frown:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:22 AM »
Rules for which version?  I've found .pdf's for most of them online.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »
Which ever one you posted the link to d/l for.

So I guess this one. The latest stable version is [WWW]1.0.0.3
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »
Ahhhhh Axis and Allies......

Favorite game of all times.  When I was a teenager, one of my best friends and I would get games going that lasted months.  Literally.  We'd have thousands of units on the board at once, after combining about 3 different poker sets worth of chips. Large battles that could last two hours over one important territory.  We had two different versions of the game, initially, in which the units were slightly different.  In mine, the Battleship was an Iowa class model, in his, it was a tiny mold of a random warship.  We used his as a "destroyer", and made our own unit class.  I've been out of the game for a long time, but I did notice on Ebay different unit class models for sale.  I had always thought that was a great idea.  Wish I had someone to play again!

I miss A&A.  
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:00:46 AM »
Which ever one you posted the link to d/l for.

So I guess this one. The latest stable version is [WWW]1.0.0.3

The thing about TripleA is you can play many different versions of the game with that engine.  There is classic, iron blitz (which was an expansion to classic), revised, etc.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/downloads

The 1991 version would be the most up to date rules for classic I believe.  The only thing that bugs me about TripleA is you need to know the victory conditions, it won't tell you that someone has won the game.  It will let you continue playing past them.

Hope this helps!  Oh, and playing against the AI is a sore substitute for playing a human opponent.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
There's a blast from the past.  I haven't played that board game in almost 15 years.  I recently saw they had different editions now. 
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline JAGED

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
I remember playing a lot before I got married.  There was even a Vichy expansion set as I recall...
"I post facts.   If I post anything thats not a fact, I ask if people know whether it is fact or drivel first..."    SkyRock (ROFL LMFAO)

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »
great game...have it on disc somewhere's..
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Kurtank

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »
Me and my good friends play the A&A where you use collectible miniatures (almost like warhammer or something) and you  have to deal with line-of-sight and unblanced teams (both in terms of strength and intelligence.... I always win tag team matches.) the game's fun as hell.
DeMaskus (Yes, we share an account.)

[357th] Death Dragons

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:49:52 PM »
   I started playing the board game back in like 1989-90, somewhere in there. I carved the pastic pieces to look more like what the were to represent, and hand painted each piece. We would play for hours. Best beer and pretzel game ever made.

~AoM~