Author Topic: I think my secondary is dying  (Read 273 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
I think my secondary is dying
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:00:44 PM »
Hey everyone,

Yesterday and today I looked at the S.M.A.R.T. readout of my hard-drives. I noticed something interesting. Yesterday my secondary hard-drive was showing a fitness level of about 27%. (According to SpeedFan.) Today, however, that level dropped to 26% and for the first time a small warning went up in the S.M.A.R.T. readout of the secondary hard-drive. Let me go ahead and show you a screen shot of the readout:

My question is if I should find a new secondary hard-drive or perform additional scans to determine if this drive's life is actually coming to an end?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:19:10 PM by Denholm »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: I think my secondary is dying
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
Well I would first back up all the data on that drive before you do any scans.  Who knows, the head could crash if you're doing a surface scan.  From my experience, if SMART is detecting errors, the drive is dead or on its way out the door.  Of course, drives fail without any warning signs from the SMART readouts.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: I think my secondary is dying
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »
Yeah, you experienced that one first-hand. Now to find something to back my files onto...
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.