Author Topic: Flight sims  (Read 785 times)

Offline John Hynds

• Zinc Member
Flight sims
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »
Hey everyone. Been awhile since I've been on here or flying due to a pending military deployment to Iraq. I have wireless internet here in the states but it is poor quality so I can't fly right now but I am wondering what a good flight sim would be that I could play off line. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully where I am goin in Iraq I will have decent internet and be able to play. See ya all soon. :(

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Flight sims
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:34:11 PM »
Download the offline missions for AH in the Offline Mission Editor forum.  Then you don't have to adjust to new flight models.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:49:31 AM »
For offline I'd say give IL2 1946 a try.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:22:20 AM »
Depends from what ru looking for. If ur are apt to WWII, then ill suggest IL2 for sure, has a real accurate FM. If ur looking for a modern sim then Falcon 4 or FF3 is your answer.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »
Offline "missions" in AH2 aren't an option for me. The "AI" doesn't even fly by the same physics you do. Meaning a Fw190 can out turn a spitfire and loop perpetually at 300mph without ever losing speed. They fly on preset tracks, or paths, but don't ever have to worry about actual limitations.

In short, the AI cheats, and very badly.

So I don't recommend it to get your "fix" by flying offline.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 12:22:05 PM »
http://www.thirdwire.com/project_wwi_combo.htm

I'm hooked in this one, WWI. Arcadish FM, but almost unlimited addons available on the web, from A/C and skins to terrains, FMs, campaigns and missions. Plus its DL based and not a CDRom game, so you don't have to worry about your game disks getting lost or scratched up with sand while you're in the 'box.

And if you want something GV nased, try http://www.steelbeasts.com/
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline KayBayRay

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »
Hey John   :cool:

One you might try that is not just a flight sim and there is a lot of adds and mods available is Battle of Britain II Wings of Valor. I run it. I is a hoot. You can fly either RAF or LW. You also control all the air groups and can jump into any mission at any time.

I dont think it is as good a flight simm as AHII but IMHO it is well worth a look.  :cool:

Later,
KayBay
See ya in the Sky !!

Offline John Hynds

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »
Cool TY for the input. I will check these out. I was already considering IL2 but am also interested in mondern stuff. So again ty all.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »
warbirds has offline practice and if you set ai level to ace they don't make any mistakes other than predictability and its free.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline John Hynds

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
Ok found a few problems. Wanted to order IL2 1946 but I have Vista so it won't run. The only sim I can find for Vista is Falcon  4. Any ideas?

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 09:39:02 PM »
If you like flight sims in space, Jumpgate Classic is fun, and good for older pc's and slow connections.  Used to play it years ago...
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
Vista
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 11:35:55 PM »
OK here is a little trick for vista and for windows 7,( waiting for beta to be release) right click on the .exe file and select run as administrator. Only games I have had issues with are win 95 games. like Star trek 25Th anniversary edition, and sierra Aces. I have even down load a first aces game "wont work on vista" and it did

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 03:30:33 AM »
Ok found a few problems. Wanted to order IL2 1946 but I have Vista so it won't run. The only sim I can find for Vista is Falcon  4. Any ideas?

IL2:1946 runs fine with Vista.  If you run into problems, this thread has some good info: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2646190/Vista_and_IL2_1946_has_driven_.html

I definately recommend IL2:1946. IMHO, it is hands down the best offline WW2 sim out there.

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:21 AM »
John,
     You might be able to fly Aces High.  It depends on where you are stationed at.  I am at JSS War Eagle (I have seen this place go from a COP, to a FOB and now a JSS) now and am flying online.  There is some lag and a lot of discoes but it is stable enough to get my "fix".  Depending on the time of day I have anywhere from 650 ms pings to 1200 ms.  Kind of funny to think that I escape war by playing war.  Weird.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline John Hynds

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
Alright gonna go ahead and order IL2 1946. As far as Iraq not real worried about the net connections there just here in the states where I am. Camp Shelby Miss. Armpit of the world no good wireless signal here I know it won't run. So I need somethin offline for now. TY all for the input. Be flying again in AH in about 3 months. :rock