Author Topic: Rules Clarification for "Dawn of Battle..."  (Read 1569 times)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Rules Clarification for "Dawn of Battle..."
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:50:54 PM »
Brooke,

Here is the rule in question;

"A pilot gets two lives in his aircraft. A pilot uses up a life (1) if he exits his plane anywhere but at the base where he took off (unless his home base was captured, in which case any base is OK) or (2) if he gets anything other than a "landed safely" massage upon ending his sortie. Thus, if you end your sortie (exit your aircraft) at a base you didn't take off from (other than if your home base was captured), you use up a life; if you end your sortie by a ditch, capture, bail, crash, death, etc. (anything but "landed safely"), you use up a life. You can use the refuel/rearm pad at any friendly base."

Does this mean that, if an aircraft sustains battle damage such that the aircraft is "BARELY" airworthy, but enough to RTB of origin. Following which a successful, "On Concrete Lanading", is the result. The pilot can then tower, re-plane a fresh ride, and not expend one of their allotted lives?

Is this correct?

:salute
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: Rules Clarification for "Dawn of Battle..."
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Brooke,

Here is the rule in question;

"A pilot gets two lives in his aircraft. A pilot uses up a life (1) if he exits his plane anywhere but at the base where he took off (unless his home base was captured, in which case any base is OK) or (2) if he gets anything other than a "landed safely" massage upon ending his sortie. Thus, if you end your sortie (exit your aircraft) at a base you didn't take off from (other than if your home base was captured), you use up a life; if you end your sortie by a ditch, capture, bail, crash, death, etc. (anything but "landed safely"), you use up a life. You can use the refuel/rearm pad at any friendly base."

Does this mean that, if an aircraft sustains battle damage such that the aircraft is "BARELY" airworthy, but enough to RTB of origin. Following which a successful, "On Concrete Lanading", is the result. The pilot can then tower, re-plane a fresh ride, and not expend one of their allotted lives?

Is this correct?

As it has been explained to me: Yes, key term here is that "you have to land it".  And it has to be on the concrete (to receive a landed safely message).  Landing it but then loosing control of it (due to damage) and sliding off the edge of the runway/pavement, even by 1-inch, doesn't count and you loose a life (if you didn't receive the landed safely message).

Also if your plane is flyable but doesn't have enough gas to get back to home-base, you can refuel at any friendly base (via the rearm pad) and then continue to fly it back to your home-base.

I do have one question on this topic though that I haven't found in the rules or addressed in the arena:  If you're plane is critically damaged (missing half a wing, radiator/oil is hit, dead engine, missing more parts than you aren't, etc.) and you don't think you can make it back to you're home-base, can you land at the nearest friendly base/field and have it not count as a life (even if you're in a plane and put it down at a VBase)?  Also, what if you have critical damage (missing half of a wing) that you could make it back to home-base to land eventually (3 sectors away) but you want to avoid fighting to keep the critically damaged aircraft airborne longer than you have to (thus preferring to land at a number of closer bases).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 04:06:53 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »
Brooke,

Is this correct?

Yep. If you can make it to your return base, you can replane, no matter how badly shot up.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 08:20:08 PM »
I do have one question on this topic though that I haven't found in the rules or addressed in the arena:  If you're plane is critically damaged (missing half a wing, radiator/oil is hit, dead engine, missing more parts than you aren't, etc.) and you don't think you can make it back to you're home-base, can you land at the nearest friendly base/field and have it not count as a life (even if you're in a plane and put it down at a VBase)?  Also, what if you have critical damage (missing half of a wing) that you could make it back to home-base to land eventually (3 sectors away) but you want to avoid fighting to keep the critically damaged aircraft airborne longer than you have to (thus preferring to land at a number of closer bases).

If you replane at anything other than your allowed return base, you lose a life.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the mentality has been (for many scenarios and FSOs) that your PILOT LIFE is what you are saving. They have spare planes. If the pilot lands at the wrong field he can't get home and is "lost" for the duration of the fight. If he gets home safely, no matter how badly shot up, he's still there, ready to jump in a spare plane and fly back into battle.

So it's not the plane as much as the pilot life you're counting.

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:06:03 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, ...

So it's not the plane as much as the pilot life you're counting.

Anyone here old enough to remember the last time Krusty was wrong?  :D
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 05:52:10 AM »
Like any other scenario, you can hot pad at any field but if you tower out it will count against you unless you do it on your home fields concrete.

No comment on Krusty, I am really trying to be good.  :)
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »
I'm really glad we won't have to shoot the same guy down 5 times in a single frame again. :D
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »
HB, Del, you are more than free to PM me about the last time you think I was wrong and I will discuss this with civility and not disrupt a thread meant to answer other issues.

I found it QUITE helpful to have it worded this way way back when I started flying scenarios, and felt that sharing this way of re-phrasing the issue may help others that have questions. It's better to clear the air now than to let one team or the other incur penalties for rules violations.

Frankly the amount of people that choose to insult me or make cracks or comments about me in totally unrelated threads has been growing lately and I'd like to see it stop. Please PM me if you wish.